You are reading a single comment by @allObjects and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • @MattB, when doing my initial work going down the same path of storing (way point and other) data, Storage module was not available yet... nor flash access with all the bells and whistle as now,... and especially for easy change/re-write of storage, it was all with the Original (first) Espruino Board... anyway much shorter on memory. The attempt ended for the same reason as yours: the (affordable and market available) FRAM storage at that time was quite limited - 32KB in my case, and also 5V dependent... this has changed a lot... but flash has changed a lot as well: 256-Kbit (32 K × 8) Serial (SPI) F-RAM - Ferroelecric RAM - SPI challenges.

In the quest for having more RAM available to the runtime, running code from from EEPROM was discussed... and the Espruino JS Interpreter Implementation presents itself quite well for that, since it interprets from the source. You can read about that at Running code off of an EEPROM. In this conversation you also find a concept implementation of. memory manager (with garbage collection) that was intended to be use with memory not needing erase... (nowhere written down is the next step tht was planned with this memory manager: named objects (Strings for at 1st), to have String Space externalized... usually not needed for fast calcs... but UI and human i/o related... Almost like a file system... not the first I wrote in my 'low level coding career'). But a said: even though we fight for individual bytes sometimes, for real storage the fight has to be big or go home.

About

Avatar for allObjects @allObjects started