• Did anyone get round to doing this ISS stuff? pretty interesting. I was looking around the forum for astronomy related projects - I've put together a Clock that calculates planet and sun positions (Alt/Az) based on GPS, will be putting it in the App Loader in the next week once I've sorted a couple things. It doesn't need to interface with any API etc and so I think it's possible to include a spot the station feature with a few more steps. For IIS you'd need to calculate when it's over the horizon, whether it's night time locally and if the Sun is at the right angle as light has to be reflected off it to be visible. The last part in all that carries most of the heavy calculation I think and this clock goes part way for it. The thing with ISS is that it's orbit drifts back and forth and they adjust it with boost so for any projected trajectories calculated - I don't know how long the results would be accurate for so will need to look into that. Worst case though, a settings file could be exposed to kind of reset the projection and orbit every now and then if needed, similar to winding dates at the end of the month on analog watches...this is obvs over the top by comparison and also why it must be done :p

https://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/Tools/orbitTuto­rial.htm

• Sun 2021.01.10

For IIS you'd need to calculate when it's over the horizon

Why not just use the web service provided in the second section of the article referenced in post #1 ? Then it is just a simple JSON parse.

About