Updating the firmware without a smartphone

Posted on
  • Hi, all.
    I want to update my watch to the latest firmware. The instructions requires that I "Install the Nordic Semiconductor NRF Toolbox App for Android or iOS"... and I don't have a smartphone at all.
    Isn't there a way to update the firmware without needing a mobile device? Considering that I can use my PC to connect to the watch, I don't see it impossible to update the firmware the same way the mobile app does. Of course, I don't think a web IDE can just flash an entire firmware image onto the watch; maybe there is a program I need to install or run on the PC itself.
    I would greatly appreciate it if someone can help me.

• Hi! What type of computer do you have?

I don't think a web IDE can just flash an entire firmware image onto the watch

Actually, it can! Generally I don't mention or recommend it because it's slower and some people have found it unreliable. If it fails it won't destroy your watch but it will stop it working until you can find someone with a phone or PC that works to update the firmware successfully.

But if I know your PC/OS then I should have a clearer idea whether it's likely to work for you.

Otherwise - do you have a tablet? It's not just phones that work with the apps - anything that's iOS or Android will be fine.

• I forgot to include my PC's operating system: I'm using Windows 10.
    Unfortunately, I do not have a tablet. I have no devices at all that run Android or iOS.
    Bluetooth seems to work fine on my computer whenever I use it--so far for the watch, the connection doesn't time out.

• Ok, no problem. I just made some changes, did some testing, and firmware updates on Windows 10 look good now.

So...

• Go to https://www.espruino.com/ide/
    • If it doesn't say Web App, v0.75.1 or later just underneath the Espruino logo, hit the 'refresh' button to ensure you're up to date
    • Click the 'Settings' gear icon in the top right
    • Click 'Flasher' on the left
    • Then click the 'Flash Firmware' button
    • Follow the instructions

If you're wondering about how to enter the bootloader mode on the Bangle and the instructions are confusing, check out the video on https://www.espruino.com/Bangle.js#firmw­are-updates

• @Gordon, I like that... even though it is slower, may be unreliable / a tad less stable (?), it is better integrated: Espruno https://www.espruino.com/ide/ Web App, the one stop shop for everything Espruino. It is inline with most recent flasher additions and - foremost - inline with your original motivation to go onto the pursuit of Espruino in the first place.

• Thanks for that @Gordon. This method worked well for me. The Ipad I had borrowed to update the Bangle via Nrf Toolbox kept disconnecting when I hit 'upload'.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Updating the firmware without a smartphone

Posted by Avatar for kp115069 @kp115069

Actions