making a change to the GPS recorder app

Posted on
  • I like the GPS recorder app, but I wish that it logged at least one more digit of the latitude and longitude. I can see in the widget code where the toFixed(5) call is made to truncate the position. I thought that I could just change that call and upload a new version of the widget. That worked for this app, but caused the battery widget to fail. I reloaded the GPS recorder and everything works like it originally did, but I'm stuck on how to make the change that I want. I'm new to the Espruino family.

Or should I simply be suggesting a change to the developer and not mess with their work at all?

• Hi,

That's a strange one - did you connect with the Web IDE? It might be that some error got introduced in the GPS recorder widget and that stopped subsequent widgets getting loaded - the Web IDE should allow you to see that error.

I don't see anything wrong with making that change though - I just tried and tested it and it works here, so I have just put the change in for you anyway.

If you have any changes like this, please do have a go at contributing them yourself though - it's extremely helpful.

• I should try again. Thanks for the change! I see the change in v0.13 on github, but I still see and get v0.12 without the change on the app loader site. I forced a page reload.

• OK. When I uploaded the edited widget, I got an error message that "WIDGETS" is not defined. I should have ignored this message, but I then edited the file to add the widgets statement at the top. My mistake. All works now. Thanks.

• Ok, great! For developing widgets there's actually a small tweak needed: https://www.espruino.com/Bangle.js+Widge­ts#trying-in-an-app

Open Settings,Communicationsand changeLoad after savingtoLoad default application`

So basically you want the IDE to save your widget, but then not to load it automatically each time you upload but instead just load your default app (the clock) which will then load the widget.

In terms of the updates, I don't always update the bangle app loader immediately, but there's a development version at https://espruino.github.io/BangleApps/ which always has the latest from GitHub (albeit sometimes with a few minutes lag because of GitHub cacheing)

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

making a change to the GPS recorder app

Posted by Avatar for bobjensen @bobjensen

Actions