You are reading a single comment by @Gordon and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • The issue for me really has been it's a reasonable undertaking to ensure that all the supported boards actually work with a specific firmware version, and it can take a while for everyone to flash firmware too so I don't want to be releasing new versions all the time.

So generally a release is when:

• Something big has been added/fixed that I think users want
    • Some time has passed since any big changes I think could cause issues
    • It's been a particularly long time since the past release

To get around that, there are the cutting edge builds, which are 2v07.commits_since_release

As for re-releasing a firmware image of the same number: yes, it's totally confusing and I try not to do it, however if it's been less than a day or two since the last release and there's something big that basically makes the firmware unusable on one of the devices I think it's probably worth doing.

In reality very few people will have updated to the new firmware at that point. I figure more people will be inconvenienced in the long term if a broken firmware is left on the website.

• I see your point(s) 😎.

if it's been less than a day or two since the last release

if a broken firmware is left on the website

I completely agree. And the gain-to-hassle ratio should also be reasonable of course.

I might disagee the day Espruino is powering mission critical components on the Orion Spacecraft though 😬.

About

Avatar for Gordon @Gordon started