How is bangle different from other smart-watches?

Posted on
  • Hello.
    I had two generations of pebble, and I really miss them.
    I tried an amazfit stratos (tremendous piece of trash), a samsung gear s3 (cool but poor battery life) and I'm now wearing a garmin.
    All those watches however have in common that they have a main screen for the watchface, then you can navigate apps/widgets. Is Bangle the same? Or it only runs the main program you install?
    Is it able to trigger events, notifications and so on?
    I'm will just buy one because "A watch with JavaScript", C'mon, how better can life become? But I had those questions in mind anyway.

• All those watches however have in common that they have a main screen for the watchface, then you can navigate apps/widgets. Is Bangle the same?

More or less. You have a main watchface and that usually also displays widgets at the top/bottom (battery level, steps, bluetooth status, etc) which you can choose. Then you can install many different apps as well (including more watchfaces) - they all live on the watch and can be executed without needing a host phone.

Is it able to trigger events, notifications and so on?

Yes, with Android you get event notifications using Gadgetbridge and can accept/reject calls/etc or control music. There's currently no specific way to push custom data back to the watch with Gadgetbridge though - you'd have to write your own app (Web Bluetooth or otherwise)

It's worth checking out https://banglejs.com/apps/ to see what's available at the moment in the way of apps if you're interested.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

• Hello @Gordon, thanks for your quick answer.
    I already checked the apps, in fact I even checked the code of some of them, I'm a curious person.

you'd have to write your own app (Web Bluetooth or otherwise)

This is not clear for me. Do you mean to develop an Android app or, as an alternative create a webapp that uses Web Bluetooth?

I saw the expected battery life is of one week, but is that realistic or it's just a technical specification of the manufacturer?

Thanks!

• Do you mean to develop an Android app or, as an alternative create a webapp that uses Web Bluetooth?

Well, for a lot of the apps (eg GPS recorder) right now we've got the app, and then a webpage which interfaces to it by Web Bluetooth to pull the data off. It's pretty trivial to do that and there are tutorials on it. Or you can do it really easily outside of the app loader as well, just on your own website.

The only issue comes if you want to display or report 'live' information to/from the internet. You basically have to make your own Android app to do that since Web Bluetooth apps can't be run in the background.

I saw the expected battery life is of one week, but is that realistic?

Yes - the firmware they ship with should manage about 1 week as it comes if you're not looking at the screen. It really depends on screen/GPS usage - if you have it set to turn on when you press a button then IMO you should be getting near a week. If you have the screen on full all the time you're only looking at maybe 6 hours!

However on 2v07 (when it's released) or on the 'cutting edge' builds the idle power consumption is massively reduced - you should be looking at around 90 days if left on the side, and maybe around a month with relatively minor usage.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

How is bangle different from other smart-watches?

Posted by Avatar for Danielo515 @Danielo515

Actions