• Getting back to my Pico after some time and trying to update firmware using WebIDE.

Problem: The Pico comes up on COM17 just fine with current version 1V81. This version was probably shipped with the unit when new as I don't recall doing a flash before.

When using the flasher and selecting Pico, any bin, the message directs to unplug, hold btn, plug in for Red/Green flashing. That works so far, but when hitting NEXT the port is missing and the flash fails.

What am I missing? Is something else needed on the Pico (i.e. a jumper or short)?

Many thanks.

Steve

• When you plug back in, are the LEDs on the Pico both pulsing? If so your hardware is all ok

And I guess you're on Windows - what version?

Is it possible the device is appearing as a different COM port? That's often the case with the bootloader since it's actually running slightly different code for the USB, so windows detects it as a different device. Maybe check out the device manager?

If you still have trouble you could try installing the 'Non-Windows XP' drivers from http://www.espruino.com/Quick+Start+USB and see if that helps?

• Just posting that I also had this problem (on Windows 10). The key observation is the FS version of the virtual COM port does not appear (since it's not detected, whereas another port is detected when using the board normally). If you look in device manger, you can see an error icon next to the COM port when trying to flash.

So I tried the driver that Gordon suggested, and reporting that the solution is correct - but you do need to pay attention to the driver installation instructions. It's not enough to install the installer, but (from the readme file), you do need to go into the installation directory and run another installer (in my case Win8/dpinst_amd64.exe) and then it was ok.

Thanks again Gordon.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Flashing Pico with 2.06 firmware fails due missing port

Posted by Avatar for SJHilton @SJHilton

Actions