You are reading a single comment by @stewartg and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Hi,

Is it possible to do speech output on the bangle.js watch? How loud is the speaker?

I'm interested in developing an assistive device for a blind runner. It would basically be a glorified talking clock, with the ability to speak the time, with stopwatch functions, maybe also heart rate and distance travelled. So I don't need generalised text-to-speech, just a limited vocabulary of numbers and a few extra phrases.

It looks like the speaker is wired to a digital pin, so I could presumably read some pre-recorded data from a file, and then write it out using Waveform API. Is this the best approach? Is it possible to mix javascript code on the bangle.js with standard Arduino libaries or C code? A quick search reveals the Talkie arduino speech library (https://github.com/going-digital/Talkie). Would this be usable on the bangle.js platform?

I have tried to implement something like this before using an Android smart watch. While these devices are very capable, the UI is quite inflexible and is usually hopelessly dependent on the touchscreen display. From this standpoint, having a bunch of chunky buttons on the bangle.js is a huge plus, and it should be possible to develop a simple UI that does not require sight.

Cheers,
    Stewart

About

Avatar for stewartg @stewartg started