App idea - Phone call

Posted on
  • Had an idea last night that I have no idea if it is possible, so here's a shout-out for some input.

An app where you have a few phone numbers saved that you can select and start a call. Great if you're wearing a headset, you don't have to actually pick up your phone.

I'm still in the process of learning JavaScript and working with Gadgetbridge, BLE, etc, so before I even start looking closer into this:
    Is it even possible to make that kind of action from the Bangle.js?

On another note, it would be cool to be able to also reject and accept calls from the watch... I see from the Gadgetbridge feature matrix that some watches have the former ability, but none have the latter.

Thoughts and ideas are welcome.

• I'm not sure if dialing numbers via GadgetBridge is already supported.

From the documentation https://www.espruino.com/Gadgetbridge it seems there is a notification supported including a telephone number and a message:

t:"notify", id:int, n:"DISMISS,DISMISS_ALL/OPEN/MUTE/REPLY",­
    if REPLY can use tel:string(optional), msg:string

I don't know though what this triggers, just a message or a phone call.
    EDIT: Just tested this: it sends a text message (SMS) to the provided number.

What is already support is accepting/rejecting incoming calls using

It is only a matter of integrating it into GadgetBridge.

I guess the question is, how do we deal with all the different GB widget ideas? I got many ideas myself and I am planning on forking my own GB widget to have it customized for my needs and wishes.

• Hm... Looking at that there is also this:

t:"call", n:"ACCEPT/END/INCOMING/OUTGOING/REJECT/S­TART/IGNORE"

What does START do? Will have to test...

The Phone call app wouldn't have a widget, but for rejecting and accepting a call I was also thinking of adding it to the existing GB widget. Once I get a hang of this I'm also planning on making my own forks so I can get things just the way I want them.

• What does STARTdo? Will have to test...

If you are willing to read into the GB source code, you can find it here: https://codeberg.org/freeyourgadget/gadg­etbridge

• I'm currently working on splitting up the gbridge app into several feature focused apps/widgets.
    You can find my gadgetbridge call control app here: https://github.com/detached/BangleApps/t­ree/new-gbridge-apps/apps/gbcall.
    I think I will create a pull request in the next days.

• I did see your PR for gbnotify, and did also look at your repo for the other parts. Can't wait to try it out.

• Interesting idea! Did it ever come to fruition? i.e. can a call be made (initiated) from Bangle.js via GadgetBridge to a number or numbers?

I'm really hoping the answer is "Yes" :-)

• It looks like it could be done with some minor changes to Gadgetbridge - right now it looks like you can send a start call request, but no phone number can be specified.

• Thanks @Gordon

Are you referring to GadgetBridge on the Bangle.js side or the F-Droid App side?

Cheers

• It's both - the Android app would need changes and you need an app on Bangle.js to actually make the calls

• Thanks @Gordon

Too big a project and out of my scope. Perhaps this will become a feature in time...

Cheers

PS: really appreciate your responses.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

App idea - Phone call

Posted by Avatar for Old_account @Old_account