• Sat 2020.04.25

I'm at a loss. I'm missing a piece of the puzzle, conceptually.

I switched to an Espruino WiFi, as tinyMQTT is setup for that, for a sanity check.

From a cmd window, I'm able to publish a topic and message that a subscriber is able to display. This means the MQTT broker, Mosquitto is running as a server. I also believe that socket communication is occurring on the default port :1883 confirmed by netstat and the fact no errors appear.

Unable to make further progress, for a sanity check, I created a Xampp server and am able to view .html pages along with exectuting .php scripts from the Windows file system, using the browser as a client. Using Fiddler, I'm able to detect and view packets that go out to the web.

Loading tinyMQTT onto the WiFi does in fact blink the WiFi LED once a second for around ten seconds, concluded by the 'disconnect' message.

Here is where there seems to be a disconnect. I'm not seeing packet traffic using Fiddler. That app did recently update, and appears very different, so still getting used to that, and am 90% sure there isn't an option I'm missing. It is quite possible I'm not remembering all the needed detail for bi-direction WiFi, I'll keep at that.

Re-reading Espruino docs for MQTT, tinyMQTT and EspruinoHub, I'm under the impression that the PI is used as a server running Node-Red to use as an intermediary for the Espruino WiFi device we are attempting to build. I shouldn't even need the PI, nor do I want to learn another OS or that line of device hardware, as Mosquitto is running on the PC. My belief is that should be the equivalent and actually replace the PI at this point. Is that concept true?

So it appears I'm missing the part that bridges the WiFi communication through to Windows on through the dedicated socket used by the Mosquitto Pub-Sub server. Anyone able to confirm and assist with the missing conceptual part or provide some troubleshooting ideas, snippets, web links to move forward?

About