• Part 3

Just noticed this, that wasn't apparent as I typed the posts. Traversing backwards, I see the large code chunk is part of a known function named 'dl()' In the history, which I believe is what is uploaded before parsing as block #440 and then again as the string identifier in memory at block #428 that points to the function configured in memory as block #438, made of other linked blocks, it's ID of #437 and the function as a FlatString object at #637

#440[r1,l0] String [200 blocks] "function dl() {\n\n  console.log( \"    \" );

#428[r1,l2] Name String [1 blocks] "dl"    #438[r1,l0] Function {
          #437[r1,l2] Name String [1 blocks] "\xFFcod"        #637[r1,l0] FlatString [150 blocks] "console.log( \"    \" );

What I would like to do is be able to traverse the trace results and get at block #637 but not knowing the actual function by name. Maybe a traverse the results and list the blocks containing more than 'x' (?ten?) blocks might be a good start.

As typeof trace() returns ="undefined" I'm starting to wonder if it is in fact just a function that prints to the console, values that are extracted under some rules, as I expected "object" to be returned.

'If you paste the whole trace up I could show you'

So, yes please, a small sample to get going would be appreciated.

Incidentally, I'm initially guessing there is a parsing issue when using both embedded individual commented lines and block commented lines within a function whose length spans a large amount forcing a newline char to get inserted which then affects code content parsing during runtime. Just a guess, but ran into a similar situation back in 2017 I just can't reproduce that manually, yet.

What happens in the suspect code file, is an attempt to execute a function roughly 20 JsVars in size when 400 JsVars are available and I get an immediate error/lockup and unable to access the console. Using the above idea, will attempt subsequent test passes inserting/moving this trace read function each time to see what is going on immediately before lockup. This code file pseudo representation is extremely stable until attempting to write a large block knowing there isn't enough memory. Thus, a close approximation to what occurs in the other file.

Also, found this unproven snippet: global["\xFF"].history = []; that was a suggestion to reduce memory, but felt that performing intentional destruction without allowing Espruino to clean up the linked tables, that it is in fact an inproper suggestion.

About