Gadgetbridge cannot find Bangle.js

Posted on
  • I received my Bangle.js today (yay!) and cannot wait to start exploring it.
    At first I want it to replace the basic functionality my old smartband had, like showing notifications from my phone. I installed Gadgetbridge on my phone and connected the Bangle.js to my phone.
    However, when I try to add a new device to Gadgetbridge, it cannot detect the Bangle.js. Is there something (magical) I should do?

• I had also spent some time on it. Make it connectable in the settings and for me it worked to disconnect an other existing BT connection and restart the watch while searching.

• Have you used version 0.35 from Play Store? Bangle.js is only supported starting from 0.4.

See this comment: http://forum.espruino.com/comments/15049­677/

You'll need a version > 0.4 from https://gadgetbridge.org/ or F-Droid.

• Hi all - I spent ages messing around with GadgetBridge yesterday, but solved the issue this morning. These are the steps I took:-

1. Install GadgetBridge from F-Droid (at least ver 0.4)
    2. 'Reset settings' on Bangle, then restart it (turn off, back on)
    3. Turn bluetooth off then back on on phone.
    4. Go into GadgetBridge, it should show the Bangle, select it and then pair (this may take 2 or more attempts)
    5. Done!

I'm now seeing battery status on my phone for the Bangle, and I just saw an email notification appear on my Bangle from Outlook! (albeit I need a magnifying glass to see it!)

Cheers all :-)

• Yeah, I've followed the same steps as @user110732 mentioned (I have the latest Gadgetbridge via F-Droid), multiple times, but it still refuses to connect.

• I too am having difficulty connecting using Gadgetbridge v0.4 from F-droid. I've tried the suggested reset but no joy.

1. I turn BlueTooth off on the phone then back on.
    2. On the Bangle under GadgetBridge I change "Connected" to "True", it shows a grey icon at the top.
    3. Start Gadgetbridge on the phone, Add device and then Start Discovery.
    4. GadgetBridge searches then nothing, and repeated Start Discovery don't appear to scan again, have to kill and restart the app.

Stumped.

• One other thing - if you have already paired it in BlueTooth, you need to unpair before step 3 in my list.

• Brilliant, that appears to have done the trick, GadgetBridge has found it instantly. Thanks user110732 :-)

• No worrys!

Be aware... if your email is as active as mine, you'll want to filter the message in GadgetBridge otherwise your wrist will be vibrating every 10 seconds!

• Ah, indeed! So after removing it from my list of earlier connected devices and restarting and stuff it now works!

• Yeah, for me, it was simply updating to v4+. Pairing successful!... Buuuut no notifications :/

Edit: Ah, didn't see the notification app in the Bangle.js app store.

• However, I'm having lots of difficulty maintaining a connection between Bangle.js and Gadgetbridge. It's incredibly irksome. Not sure if this is Gadgetbridge, Bangle.js, or my phone. It seems tokeep a connection longer if I leave Gadgetbridge as the active app in the foreground, but it still will disconnect a couple times (and not reconnect, despite the option to force reconnection) a day. Are there apps that can force other apps to continuously run in the background? Honestly, any suggestions would be great. I don't expect a perfect connection experience, but when I have to manually reconnect every time, it's frustrating. Okay, that's my rant. Thanks for any thoughts on the matter.

• What phone do you have?
    For me this is working very well so far. It even connected briefly this morning, despite of being too rooms apart.

• lots of difficulty maintaining a connection between Bangle.js and Gadgetbridge

Could you maybe try removing the watch from Gadgetbridge, and trying again without choosing to pair when prompted? I'm not sure why this makes a difference but at least in my experience Pairing seems to have an effect on connection stability.

• I'm having lots of difficulty maintaining a connection between Bangle.js and Gadgetbridge.

If you have Android this might be the battery optimization. In this case exclude Gadgetbride vom the optimization in the Android battery settings and it will not be stopped by Android.

• What phone do you have?

The Hisense A5, an e-ink smartphone that recently came out in China.

Could you maybe try removing the watch from Gadgetbridge, and trying again without choosing to pair when prompted?

I just tried it. We shall see. I didn't even know that was possible to connect without pairing. I'll post again in later today if this resolves the issue.

If you have Android this might be the battery optimization.

I actually did go into the optimization settings and removed Gadgetbridge, and simply forgot to mention that in my earlier post. Thanks for bringing it up, though, as it's an important point to mention for others with a similar issue.

• Okay, so for a few hours, I had zero connection problems, but after that, I've had to reconnect about four times in the past 3 hours. So no dice.

• I managed to connect my watch and get demo messages sometimes (they stopped working again though)

any hints what I could do to make gadgetbridge work?

I also have a question about the phone app: Why is connected toggleable? What does this change?

• Okay, my issue is resolved! Apparently there was more than one place in the settings related to battery/memory optimization. Thanks for the suggestions! Glad it's working--I hate to have to choose between a great phone and a great watch :D

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Gadgetbridge cannot find Bangle.js

Posted by Avatar for SLGeertsema @SLGeertsema

Actions