• Not sure, if the date and Bluetooth version is meant for ChromeBooks or Androids as you mention Android 8. But for example, I have a Huawei P10, can flash firmware with nRF Connect, and according to GSMArena
    Released: 2017, March
    Bluetooth: 4.2, A2DP, LE, aptX

I got it late 2017, don't remember the exact month.

• Wed 2020.03.18

answering post #9 response

'Not sure, if the date and Bluetooth version is meant for . . . '

I hadn't realized how detailed this would get, trying to sort things out, but I'm starting to
    realize that it is necessary to put the 'BS' filter on after reading comments from other forums. Everyone seems to want to be the source of what they think/know is correct, then fail to document correctly or correct their (discovered in the future) error.

I'll agree @AkosLukacs that keeping this all straight can be taxing on the ol' noggin.

To verify, I went back to the nice post #1 table cross reference that Bluetooth.com published, but that link now 403 error's out. Rats!! Really nice as it had a date chronological listing for both BT and Android versions and release dates. Now searching for a substitute.

Found this from a user Aug 2016 'it mentions that it supports both BTv4.1 and BLE. It therefore distinguishes the two BT specifications'

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3476­1921/is-bluetooth-4-0-ble

As I see it, the confusion ( 4 ) results as we have Bluetooth 4.0 arriving around the same time Android 4.3 started supporting BLE

Since your Huawei P10 falls into a zone just after that timeframe, lets see if we are able to build some chronolgical relationships here:

Bluetooth low energy support introduced

Android 4.3 Jelly Bean (API 18)
    4.3 July 24, 2013

Android 7.0 Nougat (API 24)
    7.0 August 22, 2016

Android 8.0 Oreo (API 26)
    8.0 August 21, 2017

Android 9 Pie (API 28)
    9 August 6, 2018

Android 10 Quince Tart (API 29)
    10 September 3, 2019

Full chronological table at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_ve­rsion_history

The web buzz as I preceive it is that the Android releases introduced the support for BLE around mid 2013. It took time for hardware vendors to envision, prototype, build, introduce to the market their super-duper hardware flavor.
    (as the post #1 link 403's going from memory here - until future verification)
    Bluetooth release version was around 4.0 and introduction of BLE was on the horizon. Confusion sets in until around a March of 2017 timeframe when world-wide adoption finally agrees and products start hitting the market around September 2017. Android version is around 8 and Bluetooth minimum for BLE is 4.2

Your Huawei P10 purchased fall 2017 and having BT 4.2 and Android 7 falls into this category.

From the post #9 link
    OS Android 7.0 (Nougat), upgradable to Android 9.0 (Pie)

Therefore it is a safe bet that the hardware produced after Sept 2017 will support BLE, despite only referencing 'Bluetooth support' or just BT. But that may only be for Android (Smart Phones) devices as I'm starting to realize that, the same may not hold true for PC's/Laptops as my HP fits into that time slot, but even stated as Bluetooth 4 compliant, doesn't recognize BLE devices. (could it be lack of suitable drivers, Windows10, rather than hardware?)

About

Avatar for AkosLukacs @AkosLukacs started