• Sorry to hear about the Fire HD. Did you actually try installing nRF connect on it? I'd be amazed if it didn't work.

a SIM card and an activation card, monthly or by annual plan is required

Not at all - you can just connect a phone via WiFi and it'll be fine. You just won't be able to make calls unless you use Skype/etc.

• Mon 2020.03.16

@Gordon, yes, did sideload nRFConnect a year ago, but that app never saw any BLE devices to pair to.

Now I understand why. It appears I may have aquired the last of an end of life batch as it was majorly discounted. I think I paid around ~$120 when retail was just under ~$275 circa 2016. The HDX just came out at around ~$400, but I couldn't justify the nearly three times price increase for 'just reading.' Remembering back, I would discover Espruino a year later.

I may also have a hybrid, as mine has 8Gig Ram and there is a note there that indicates Fire 7 was upgraded from 1Gig in 2015

And somethong else I didn't realize, "It is possible to convert a Kindle Fire to a tablet running standard Android, with some loss of Amazon-related functionality, and lacking features such as Bluetooth, microphone, camera, and memory expansion"

But my fear to do that is too risky, for the reasons of hardware manufactuing timeframe. Unable to locate what version of Bluetooth is within the device.

We know:

From minimum Android version, link in post #1, we need Android 4.3 (API level 18)

"The second-generation Kindle Fire HD runs a customized Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich OS"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Fir­e_tablet

There was an upgrade to a version 3 circa 2013 original release date, but no indication of Android version

Thanks for the idea, I'll reconfirm and try again, but the conversion from Amazon labeling of incremental customized software revisions and being able to cross link to an actual Android version is time consuming.

About