Unable to upgrade firmware

Posted on
  • Hi All,

I got 2 Espruino Pico's through the Kickstarter campaign but hadn't found the right project for it yet. Yesterday I decided to see if I can use them in some Christmas decorations.

I'm currently on version 1.87 of the firmware and the WebIDE works, however, when I want to upgrade the flash I'm stuck. I get the red-green flashing lights, but when I proceed and click on Next in the flasher section I get a "Connection Failed" error. This is after I have selected COM6 (default for the WebIDE is COM5).

Looking at an alternative way to upload the new firmware I had a look at the DFU tool. I'm able to get the Pico into DFU mode (this is shown in the DFU GUI), but it will not allow me to upload the bin file as it states that it is not in the right format.

This behavior is seen in both Pico's.

This is what I see in the console

GET chrome.storage.local.OFFLINE_DATA = 0 bytes
    No navigator.serial - Web Serial not enabled
    >>> Connecting...
    Set Slow Write = true
    Unable to open device (connectionInfo=undefined)
    ERROR: Unable to open device (connectionInfo=undefined)
    ERROR: [notify_error] Connection Failed.
    >>> Connection Failed.

Anything I'm missing? Where do I find the DFU files?

Any assistance would be highly appreciated.

• Sun 2019.12.08

Hello @user106456

Is it possible to flash an intermediate version using the WebIDE, then reflash to the current version?

http://www.espruino.com/Download

'This is after I have selected COM6 (default for the WebIDE is COM5).'

I don't recall having to (re)-select a different COM port during the flash process.

• Hi @Robin,

Thanks for the swift reply. I dug a little deeper and found the alternative firmware upload program in Python. This also didn't work and kept complaining about the Serial module. So I opened up my Device manager and found that the driver was not working for the FS mode. I downloaded the driver from the STM site and presto. Everything works now.

So I probably should have read the manual where it reads "Install the correct drivers" :-)

• Sun 2019.12.08

'I probably should have read the manual where it reads "Install the correct drivers" :-)'

Ahhhh, the ol' resort to reading the docs trick!

Good Morning @WBvReeuwijk glad that working through the process resulted in the positive outcome and yes I've been burned myself getting so excited I've peed my pants to get code code running on my Espruino devices but should have taken the time to read the datasheet(s). Surprisingly, there is 'actual' important detail there. Bizarre? . . . ;-)

Thank you for detailing the additional steps you used as a reminder for others to 'think' through the entire process.

'Thanks for the swift reply'

Happy to help. Happened to be validating a post I just made and your entry just popped up. Couldn't resist to respond.

• Thanks for letting us know what the issue was! Were you on Windows 10, or something else?

• Yes, it was windows 10 and because I could connect normally through the WebIDE didn't directly point me to an issue with the drivers.

• Yes, the issue is that the bootloader uses a slightly different USB stack to the main device (the bootloader has stayed the same and Espruino's has improved) and so it's less likely to be picked up automatically :(

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Unable to upgrade firmware

Posted by Avatar for WBvReeuwijk @WBvReeuwijk

Actions