• Dont't tell anyone, but if you ... (nevermind :)

Well, yes. First I think it is not very nice to ask for help and support here in 'Official Espruino Boards' forum if this is just hacked watch you got from elsewhere.

Also making it too easy for people to just save money without any real effort (at the expense of others - Gordon, kickstarter supporters) is not great either. So I would prefer to not link too much details here on the forum. I am not sure myself where is the line. For me it would be pointless to send Gordon donation and then take money from him by supporting 'freeloaders' who would otherwise got stuff from his shop. OTOH anyone can get the watch from wherever they want and if they contribute to the community then (like making apps for Bangle) it is good for us too. So I don't know how to balance this in best way.

• Thr 2019.12.05

re: post #26
    'then take money from him by supporting 'freeloaders' who would otherwise got stuff from his shop'

@fanoush totally agree and have been thinking along the same lines for all the official supported boards. It is a tough call to determine that balance and has also been seen by numerous posts of frustration from Gordon. Thought of splitting the forum into two separate themes where Gordon only responds with support for the official line. But then some readers may miss when some good idea would pop up on the other.

For me, it is a bit frustrating attempting to support code snippet error requests, only to find the requestor doesn't have an official board, when the claim was there all along. One of the reasons I ferret out those suspect by requiring procees.env before I expend too much of my time gratis.

'I would prefer to not link too much details here'

Yes. That should be left to the heavy hitters such as @JumJum, @Gordon, @MaBe, @fanoush, etal (unintentional ommisions to make a point - done from memory as not fully aware of those in the trenches that should receive more acknowledgement)

IMO so as the Kickstarter was tremendous proving this is the next coolest thing as MaBe so creatively stated the first week of November: I promise, you gone love it! (sic American ver: You're gonna love it!) and that first run will require ~1000 users, estimating ~200 will desire near immediate forum participation, why not have a forum verification addition, such as a Bangle icon or/and the text 'Bangle' beneath where 'Patreon' shows? This would not only provide we contributors instant feedback that the poster does indeed have an official Bangle, but would also provide Google link juice, to covertly get the word out. As each Bangle has to be mailed to those that pledged, the email/forum profile would be exposed at that time. A list could be created for those of us that support/respond to posts, or the icons added while in transit. This would encourage purchasing an official device in order to get (near) immediate response. Those that want to freely tinker could have their own separate Bangle Hackers thread, but no contributions from Gordon there. Everyone should be happy, right?

About

Avatar for fanoush @fanoush started