• I'm not worried about the 8266 but because the LCD ribbon is so close and it's two rows I'm going to have a hard time desodering.
    amazon delivers a ESP01S for $4 (including shipping so what...3 euros) so that's on it's way. but I hope I don't kill the sockets and yes. Putting in a header would have been what I should have done but I didn't have a header or even thought about it. And I love the low profile that this kit made. Just wished I had not made this kind of mistake.

• Tue 2019.12.03

'because the LCD ribbon is so close and it's two rows I'm going to have a hard time desodering'

I've not played with the Nodeconf badge, but I do notice in the image above, the ribbon cable is close indeed. Is there enough room to place a thin letter opener, a steel rule or maybe some folded tin foil or cereal box top to act as a heat barrier?

'Just wished I had not made this kind of mistake.'

You are not the fault here, so you didn't make a mistake. As I see it, you followed the instructions to the letter, as defined for that author's project at that time. Commend yourself. Who would have thought a conference badge with limited production run, would have had a revision change. I read that article and would have performed the same ritual and be typing out the same forum entry here. My openning #11 comment shows my surprise also. Doubt that I would have even checked the artwork for the trace layout, if that even exists.

While it is an unfortunate circumstance, no words can substitute for the frustration I'm sure you are facing.

Would it be more appropriate to state that 'Just wished this sequence of events hadn't happened to me?' or 'Just wished I wasn't in this unfortunate learning experience?'

About