You are reading a single comment by @indianajones and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Do you have any examples of changing the service type? I left it out because I couldn't really see what it'd be used for :)

I'm afraid I don't know how you'd use MDNS to find other devices though - I'd have hoped the ESP8266 (or your router) would be able to do that for you automatically. Usually I can just request mydevice or mydevice.local and it's fine with that.

• From what I can tell, it's used mainly for filtering out services you don't care about discovering. For example, Apple uses a service type called something like "_daap" (digital audio something player) from iTunes to find compatible players. So it won't find your printers or web servers or home automation devices, because it's filtering by that service type. So I can create my own service type and then discover only the devices I created, ignoring everything else on the network.

I don't think it's a very big deal when you have only a few discoverable devices on your network, but if you had hundreds, filtering by service type is kinda cool.

About