• My thoughts:

On a first-time-to-blink, it's hard to beat the web-ide, I think it's a pretty cool piece of software.
    But I do agree that VSCode is powerful. I use it for most of my day-job and most of Espruino development + the Web ide REPL to tweak the code on the fly. The REPL is one of the best features of Espruino!
    A nicer SVCode integration would be nice of course :)

Dunno, maybe the web ide as the default beginner option, and VSCode for advanced users? Although the web ide can do "everything", found it a bit clumsy for multiple files, and VSCode has configurable keyboard shortcuts.
    Or replace codemirror with monaco editor? Probably there would be a lot of accidental complexity on that path. Also probably VSCode would have better support for multi file editing, wouldn't have to reinvent that many wheels. And a full-blown VSCode plugin would sound "bigger&better" than a "Web Ide 2.0".

ESP - I have mixed feelings: ESP8266 is severely limited IMO. Wifi handling eats up most of it's resources. But -if we ignore the security part - ppl have done great home automation projects with it.
    As far as I have seen (might be wrong) even the ESP32 doesn't handle https certificates properly: Most samples I have seen just ignore verification, or hardcode certificate thumbprints & hope for the best.
    But looks like there is nina-fw that turns the ESP32 into a dedicated wifi - internet chip. And does have root certificates burnt in. Better, but still can't do anything if a root cert is expired / revoked / replaced...
    ESP32's Bluetooth is not 100% stable, but looks like people are "OK" with it, just restart it every day. Meh...
    Also, has anyone seen a real-world use of the two cores of the ESP32?
    And uses a lot of power even without wifi.

Probably boils down to resources (and money and how do you get income). For example (at least from what's visible to me) Adafruit sells microcontroller boards + Raspberries, and accessories (sensors, LEDs, actuators, radios, batteries, boxes, etc) that can be used for both. They even have their own IOT services, and board that uses an ESP32 as a communication coprocessor.
    Circuit python is only supported on their boards (no ESP32 at all). I guess selling "everything" gives enough income, and standing on top of Arduino and Micro/Circuit Python gives them a lot of users.

But I guess Gordon probably knows more about business models than me.

About

Avatar for AkosLukacs @AkosLukacs started