• I was setting out 50 ESP8266 for July's NodeBot Days (down here in south florida) and I want to make sure I know as much about these as possible. The particular combination of this one cable and this one computer seems to work with at least the 3 I've done so far, so I think we're good.

@AkosLukacs question: Can I then rely that all NodeMCU.* match what's printed on the boards?

if I see D3 on the board it's always NodeMCU.D3 right?

I have 20 x Geekcreit® NodeMcu Lua ESP8266 ESP-12E and 30 x WeMos D1 for this event.

and you're absolutely right: I had to create a js file (for johnny-five.js ) that matched each PIN so that people didn't have to guess. This is just silly.

Here's the file for anyone needed. but for Espruino this the same as this NodeMCU built in object in espruino.
    https://github.com/bocajs/NodeBotDays/bl­ob/master/esp8266Pins.js

• Mon 2019.06.24

Good Morning @DamianMontero,

I feel your frustration:

'. . . rely that all NodeMCU.* match what's printed on the boards?'

Caveat Emptor

Note that the pin numbering that is listed in #17 doesn't quite match the board I have, WavGat D1 mini.

I found this WeMos <==> ESP8266 pin mapping table helpful:

https://wiki.wemos.cc/products:d1:d1_min­i

I gave these rogue boards a try as I had a knockoff WeMos D1 as part of a sensor kit I bought two years ago, and had laying around. Post link #12 shows the fun (not) I had with my first attempt while learning. What frustrated me is that I was taught numbering counter-clockwise looking top down from upper left corner for DIPs. Life stayed that way until I got into programming. Now everyone seems to think that their own convention is better. Now we have the actual pin referenced from drill pattern, the breakout board label, the chip pin reference, what the chip mfg datasheet uses, what the breakout board mfg decides is their preferred method, what the competitor knockoff board mfg indicates is better and so on. Then there is the lack of documentation in the Arduino (have only attempted Arduino for six weeks now) community. A pin could be any of the indications above, actual chip, breakout board label, mfg datasheet, etc. and there doesn't appear to be any consistency. I ended up using the above link to create my own table, just as you did in that .js file.

I finally am relieved that someone else has had the same experience, albeit not as much fun and easier as it should have been. For me back to Authentic Original Espruino boards, as there aren't that many weekends left for me to handle this frustration. Bucket list getting longer, and time getting shorter. ;-)

Don't want to take away your time with 'July's NodeBot Days' but would it be possible to take some pics, or a web page link and post it here, or in the other boards::general or projects forum should there be any content related to Espruino?

Is your plan to create a set of Espruino Javascript variations of the creations that exist now? Create tutorials for the Espruino community?

re #13 'a lot of code talks about the B1 or B3 etc of the espruino . . . . . . they're talking about the D1 or D3 in those examples.'

I jumped in with Espruino a little over two years ago. Two new BLE boards were introduced along with the Puck just before that a little over a year ago. The entire site's tutorial section was based on the Original board, the Pico and WiFi. That is why most references indicate 'B1 or B3' and don't seem consistent with all boards. As there is a tremendous amount of web page content that existed, the entire site would have had to be reworked. Quite an undertaking, when Gordon's time is much needed keeping up with the current versions of Espruino for the variants that now exist.

About