• Hi,

We've identified a potential use case for the Puck, however, both I and our mobile dev team is fairly new to beacons. I wondered if our use case is possible across iOS & Android?

We have a requirement for an individual user to send custom strings direct to multiple users of our app via a short-range localized method (i.e; not push notifications or something client > server, it needs to be point-to-point within a classroom setting).

My thinking was to potentially use Pucks as little "broadcast relays". Case:

• An individual usually an instructor, would tap a button in their app that would send strings to the Puck
    • The Puck would then use the strings as it broadcast message.
    • Users within range would launch their app and choose the correct message (in case of multiple pucks being in range)

Does this sound feasible?

Thanks,

Steve

• Hi Steve,

Yes, absolutely! That sounds extremely easy to implement.

The only minor gotcha is you can't use Web Bluetooth because you'd need to look at advertising messages, but if you're writing native iOS/Android apps that should be easy.

Advertising message length is extremely limited on Bluetooth LE (~20 bytes usable), but you can still 'rotate' advertising messages so after a second or two the app will have received all of the advertising messages needed to piece something bigger back together.

• Thanks for that Gordon & good tip about BLE.

In terms of protocols, does Puck support iBeacon, Eddystone or both? Our app will be React Native and I understand there are several suitable libraries which can be used on iOS & Android. If not then I guess we'd have to wrap one of the native ones and access that.

Steve

• Yes, it can do both - and at the same time if you need as well:

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

General broad-terms use case question for the Puck

Posted by Avatar for steveharman @steveharman