You are reading a single comment by @Robin and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Wed 2019.05.22

To obtain sufficient charge current, especially when the clouds block the sun, or sun low on the horizon, requires quite a large cell, std 60x110mm ~2x4" at 1W and the smallest I've been able to locate 30x60mm ~1x2" at 0.18W with output charge voltage above battery voltage. Simplest circuit, or maybe a voltage doubler or buck step up converter.

P=IE   I=P/E   1/5=200ma
    and 0.18/5 = 36ma

All manufacturers recommend as @allObjects points out, NiMH/NiCad and trickle charge as Li/LiPo batteries require a constant voltage/current after startup conditioning FOR THE DURATION of the charge cycle. You need a special board for LiPo charging and a guarantee the sun wont be covered by clouds during that process. Failing this, may/most likely result in fire (see numerous YouTube vids - Google solar LiPo charger or drone quad copter fires) as fluctuating V and I as when sun behind clouds, will change chemical makeup of Li, effectively lowering internal resistance or shorting out the cell.

There are many articles that suggest using a TP4056 module to build a solar charger. Yes, they may work for a few charge cycles, but then you will be calling your insurance company for a pay out.

I'm on the fence post with LiIon as I haven't found a yea article for using the TP4056 for them, or whether trickle charging via solar is feasible.

Lithium Polymer Charging/Discharging & Safety Information

https://www.maxamps.com/lipo-care.php

About