• Although it isn't stated concretely, is the intent to have Software Serial functional on previous SMT32 boards then? (as of 2v0)

Yes. And I just tested on Espruino WiFi:

Serial1.setup(9600,{rx:B7,tx:B6});
    var s = new Serial();
    s.setup(9600,{rx:B3, tx:B4});
    s.on('data', function (data) { print("<SoftSerial>"+data); });
    setTimeout(function() {Serial1.print("Hello");},500);

and

Serial1.setup(9600,{rx:B7,tx:B6});
    var s = new Serial();
    s.setup(9600,{rx:B3, tx:B4});
    Serial1.on('data', function (data) { print("<Serial1>"+data); });
    setTimeout(function() {s.print("Hello");},500);

Both work great. It's the combination of send and receive that is the issue.

In fact:

var s = new Serial();
    s.setup(600,{rx:B3, tx:B4});
    s.on('data', function (data) { print("<SoftSerial>"+data); });
    setTimeout(function() {
      s.print("H");
    }, 500);

Works fine too - so the issue may be that software serial writes block when writing more than 1 character or so, which then messes with software serial reception if it goes on for too long.

A year ago it was made clear to make update suggestions in the forum. Has this now changed?

Yes, making update suggestions on the forum is totally fine.

For the odd change suggested by normal forum users that works out great - however you in particular have made probably 100+ suggestions to date and continue to make them, usually at the rate of a few a week.

I have spent many days implementing a lot of them (tutorial thumbnails, then a list view option because you didn't like that, the tips and tricks page, and many small tweaks to various bits of documentation). However I can't implement every change you suggest as I just don't have the time, so if you actually want a change made, it would be hugely helpful if you could look at doing it yourself.

About

Avatar for Gordon @Gordon started