PUCK Ble HID keyboard

Posted on
Page
of 2
/ 2
Next
  • Hello

And thanks in advance for any help. I'm quite new to coding JS, but always keen to learn.

I'm trying to programme my Puck.js to connect to another device as BLE HID Keyboard. I have successfully got this working and I am able to send a character or two to the device after pressing the button on the puck. What I now want to do is send a whole word or sentence from the button press. Here is where I am having issues. I have tried creating many different functions to do this, but none of it seems to work successfully. I seem to reach a maximum series of characters (7), before strange things happen like the the seventh character repeating endlessly.

I tried mapping each of the kb.tap commands to an individual function, but this didn't help things and then I tried using the low level commands too, but this also resulted in the same issues. I'm also a bit confused as to why the example given in the puck tutorial has an "a" followed by "A", but rather than them being separate lines within the function, they are nested within one another (this is likely due to my lack of JS experience), but I couldn't find reference to this practice anywhere.

On my code below you can see I tried to construct a sequence of A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H... to send to my connected device. There are several functions in there that I tried; sendCap, sendLowLevel, sendNewTest and myCommand, none of which worked.

function onInit() {
    var kb = require("ble_hid_keyboard");
    NRF.setServices(undefined, { hid : kb.report });

function sendLowA() {
      kb.tap(kb.KEY.A, 0);
    }

function sendLowB() {
      kb.tap(kb.KEY.B, 0);
    }

function sendLowC() {
      kb.tap(kb.KEY.C, 0);
    }

function sendLowD() {
      kb.tap(kb.KEY.D, 0);
    }

function sendLowE() {
      kb.tap(kb.KEY.E, 0);
    }

function sendCap() {
      // Send 'a'
      kb.tap(kb.KEY.A, 0, function() {
        // Followed by 'b'
        kb.tap(kb.KEY.B, 0, function() {
        // Followed by 'c'
        kb.tap(kb.KEY.C, 0, function() {
        // Followed by 'd'
        kb.tap(kb.KEY.D, 0, function() {
        // Followed by 'e'
        kb.tap(kb.KEY.E, 0, function() {
        // Followed by 'f'
        kb.tap(kb.KEY.F, 0, function() {
        // Followed by 'g'
        kb.tap(kb.KEY.G, 0, function() {
        // Followed by 'h'
        kb.tap(kb.KEY.H, 0, function() {
        // Followed by 'i'
        kb.tap(kb.KEY.I, 0);
        });
        });
        });
        });
        });
        });
        });
        });

}

function sendLowLevel() {
      NRF.sendHIDReport([2,0,4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ], function() {
      NRF.sendHIDReport([2,0,5], function() {
      NRF.sendHIDReport([2,0,4], function() {
      NRF.sendHIDReport([0,0,0]);
    });
    });
    });
    }

function sendNewTest() {
    });
    });
      NRF.sendHIDReport([2,0,6], function() {
    });
      NRF.sendHIDReport([2,0,7], function() {
    });
      NRF.sendHIDReport([2,0,8], function() {
    });
      NRF.sendHIDReport([2,0,9], function() {
    });
      NRF.sendHIDReport([2,0,10], function() {
    });
      NRF.sendHIDReport([2,0,11], function() {
    });

}

function myCommand() {
      sendLowA();
      sendLowB();
      sendLowC();
    }

// trigger btnPressed whenever the button is pressed
    setWatch(sendNewTest, BTN, {edge:"rising",repeat:true,debounce:50})­;}

// flash the blue LED to indicate button press
     // digitalWrite(LED3, true);
      //setTimeout("digitalWrite(LED3, 0);", 100);```

• Just for future reference, what did I do wrong when uploading my code in my previous post?

• Sun 2019.03.24

'what did I do wrong when uploading my code in my previous post?'

Maybe nothing at all. Formatting of code inside Html form TextArea element can be a bit tricky for the browser parser. There have been a few hiccups I've seen.

Thank you for being pro-active and including your snippet. It might be that the three trailing back-ticks need to be on a separate line, or a blank line separating, both leading and ending, the ticks and the included code block.

i.e. blank line, three ticks, blank line, code block, blank line, three ticks, blank line

Would you mind posting the link to the tutorial used, as I'm not able to locate what is being spoken about. Thanks

EDIT
    I believe this might be the link:

https://www.espruino.com/BLE%20Keyboard

If so,

' as to why the example given in the puck tutorial has an "a" followed by "A"'

IMO the example demonstrates how to structure the callback within the tap() function, and is using a modifier to demonstrate how to capitalize a letter. Most likely the same one is used to show capitalization with the least confusion.

The behind the scenes Javascript - See file end for tap() function

https://www.espruino.com/modules/ble_hid­_keyboard.js

The reference

https://www.espruino.com/Reference#l_NRF­_setServices

While I defer a definitive answer to others, it might be that

'I seem to reach a maximum series of characters (7)'

beneath heading "Low Level control" (first link following EDIT above)

'to send data. For Keyboards it must be an array of the form:'
    [modifier, reserved, key1, key2, key3, key4, key5, key6 ]

and the tap() function only specify an array of 8 values. This might explain why the seventh gives the surprise that is witnessed.

• Thank you for your replay Robin.
    That is the correct tutorial I was referring to.

I had thought that I may have reached the array limit on the tap(), but I'm unsure as I cannot find much detail about the function in documentation. I tried only sending the character's in small chunks, exectuing the function several times but this also failed:

function sendNewTest() {
    });
    });
      NRF.sendHIDReport([2,0,6], function() {
    });
      NRF.sendHIDReport([2,0,7], function() {
    });
      NRF.sendHIDReport([2,0,8], function() {
    });
      NRF.sendHIDReport([2,0,9], function() {
    });
      NRF.sendHIDReport([2,0,10], function() {
    });
      NRF.sendHIDReport([2,0,11], function() {
    });

}

Also I found reference using the puck.js for keyboard inputs over BLE on another topic, where Gordon suggests it would be possible at the tend of his first paragraph:
    http://forum.espruino.com/conversations/­307801/

The other confusing thing is (which could be due to my lack of JS knowledge), when sending fewer characters (say 3 for example), why does this work:

> function sendCap() {
    >   // Send 'a'
    >   kb.tap(kb.KEY.A, 0, function() {
    >     // Followed by 'b'
    >     kb.tap(kb.KEY.B, 0, function() {
    >     // Followed by 'c'
    >     kb.tap(kb.KEY.C, 0);
    >     });
    >     });
    >   
    > }

but not this?:

> function myCommand() {
    >   kb.tap(kb.KEY.A, 0);
    >   kb.tap(kb.KEY.B, 0);
    >   kb.tap(kb.KEY.C, 0);
    > }

Why is it that the tap() has to be nested like that?

• It's so that B is not sent until A is done, it waits until the event is complete before adding a new event.

• OK, thanks Wilberforce. That clears up that part for me, I had tried using setTimeout (see below) as I though it may be a timing issue, it was not successful, but now I understand a little more.

function myCommand2() {
      setTimeout(sendLowA, 200);
      setTimeout(sendLowB, 200);
      setTimeout(sendLowC, 200);
    }

Now I just need to figure out how to send more characters across.

• Formatting of code inside Html form TextArea element can be a bit tricky for the browser parser. There have been a few hiccups I've seen.

@Robin can you point to one? Every issue I've seen thus far (apart from hashes inside code) has been an issue with the formatting of the text the post. If you haven't used it before it can take a while to get the hang of.

I just checked this post, and there are three backticks before your code, but not after it as well (I guess you might have pasted over them by accident?). I just edited it to add them and it's fine now.

Anyway - back to the question :)

What you're doing in sendCap with the nesting looks fine to me. I'll check it out here and get back to you - it's possible you need a delay as the host computer may not be expecting to be getting keypresses sent so quickly.

But the other main issue you have (why sendNewTest doesn't work) is:

Why is it that the tap() has to be nested like that?

This is an issue if you're new to JavaScript. Basically it can take a while to send a keypress (if you're in a low power mode it might be half a second). Rather than stop you running any other code during that time, Espruino executes the function right away and goes on to execute what's right after. When the keypress is finally sent, it calls the callback function - and it's in that function that you need to send the next keypress - hence the nesting.

There are ways to get around that - for instance calling the same function over and over, taking characters off a string of characters to send - or you can use 'Promises' (a standard JS thing - google it for some good tutorials) to avoid the nesting as well.

• Just got your reply...

function myCommand2() {
      setTimeout(sendLowA, 200);
      setTimeout(sendLowB, 200);
      setTimeout(sendLowC, 200);
    }

So as above this has the effect of getting all 3 functions called at the same time(ish), 200ms from when myCommand2 was executed. You need either to do the nesting thing, or to set the timeouts to 200,400 and 600.

• Working with timeouts in an asynchronous, event driven context is the recipe for failure.

No matter what, it is only the question of 'when' will it fail: there will always be - randomly - a case where the timeout is not long enough. Furthermore, this pattern robs you of the option to take care of other things you need to do... How would you get something done expedited and being able to set a real timeout that concludes with almost certainty that something went wrong and a redo / start over is required?

You can go nested, which is also called 'callback hell', our can go with a (command or just data / character) FIFO - first-in-first-out - queue that is easy to write to and with a (dispatcher) worker that reads from the queue and does the command / send.

I do not know your overall application, but I expect that after sending quite some information over HID to your other device, you wait for some events with event data to happen before you move on in Espruino, and you moving on depends on that event data.

In multiple places of my forum published code you may find these patterns. A simple one, which just writes is a number id-ed message logger to track what the code does that, when no console is detected, writes blinking sequences in morse code for the message id. It even changes color - choses green or red led to blink for information/success messages vs. error messages. You find the code in lines 237..259 and a two typical usages in lines 29..295. After walking through the mentioned lines of code you will quite well understand what is going on an what I'm talking about when referring to a queue... especially since there are like two queues: one holds the the error or success indicator and the message code, and the other one then short and long di-and-dah-s for the morse code... The first elements select the LED to blink, almost like a command, and the second one sets up the second queue with the string with Ss and Ls with the short and long blinks.

Let's get you started on the simple part: getting a string out over BLE HID.

// setup of you convenience hidKeyBoardObject... (here or later)
    var hidKBD = ( // the singleton object that does all things
                   // what you want to do in encapsulated manner
    { string: ""   // the FIFO queue or buffer you feed with what
                   // you want to write as HID over BLE keyboard
                   // and feeds the tapping char by char from begin
    , type: function(s) { // feeding the FIFO w/ string to write
        this.string += s; // add string to FIFO w/ simple concat
        if (this.string.length = s.length) { // length are the same
                          // which means that all was tapped and
                          // a new tapping streak has to be started
          this._send(this.string.charAt(0)); // get first char out
      } }
    , _send: function(c) { // tapping the keyboard w/ a char
        kb.tap(kb.KEY[c],0,this._sent.bind(this)­); // invoke tap and
                           // tell tap to invoke ._sent() when done.
                           // .bind(..) is some JS idiom you google.
      }
    , _sent: function() {  // is invoked by tapping as callback when
                           // tapping has completed...
        this.string = this.string.substring(1); // remove tapped char
        if (this.string.length > 0) { // not done yet with all chars
          this._send(this.string.charAt(0)); // tap next char... ;)
      } }
    } );

// setup and other code functions of yours (here or before hidKBD)

function onInit() {
       // invoke your set up code as needed (init and getting connections)
       hidKBD.type("ABC");
       hidKBD.type("XYZ");
    }

Lines 1..25 do what inline commented/documented.

Lines 31 and 32 show a usage (EDITED to this as pointed out by post #22). Even though are executed more or less right one ofter the other, all is perfect. The second one may have been executed while the send of the first character of the first one has not even completed yet... ;-)

Note that I used kb.KEY[] freely without looking at the constraints... (which there are in order to send on character keys... So you have to come up with some notation / patterns like shift-in/out of command keys -like: "ABC~RETURN~XYZ~RETURN~" (1st ~ is shift-in and 2nd is -out) and respective code to handle such sorts of 'strings' to type / tap... Looks like a fun project to me.)

Next step would be to wrap your action code and hidKBD into a state machine that works of a command queue to do what is needed:

• some input / sensors / timeouts / intervals feed the command queue with:
      • commands that invoke hidKBD.type(..)
      • commands the invoke some action functions other hidKBD.type(..)
      • commands that read sensors / wait for any kind of input
    • and each execution of these commands can add command to your command queue.

As the name hints, the command queue holds on to a string of commands - array of commands / command objects - rather than just a string of characters . But the implementation pattern is the very same:

• feed FIFO queue: .type(..), .exec(..)
    • do 1st item in queue: ._send(..), ._exec(..)
    • when item done, do: ._sent(..), ._excd(..)

When you get there, we can feast on it with details how a command object can look like, such as real object or array / array of scalars and arrays etc, to get things code-wise done as expedient
    as possible.