• Here's a complication to the issue that I stumbled into. I'm saving code to RAM (Pixl 2v01) and in the code I have block setting the NRF services (with 4 characteristics using the short hex UUIDs), just as in the example in the API documentation. I then update the services when a button is pressed using NRF.updateServices which works as expected, until the device is restarted.
    On restarting it adds a second instance of the same service (as seen by nRF Connect and LightBlue). Restarting again (e.g. by running a load() command) I get a third instance of the same service at which point I'm running into BLE Data Size errors when I try to update the service.

I've resolved it by putting a NRF.setServices({}) in the init() function, blanking the services and setting the services again right afterwards but it seems wrong that the peripheral can advertise multiple instances of the same service (same name, same characteristics). It also makes updating the code tricky as you have to make sure that there is no definition of the services in RAM that might be appended to the new code when it is saved.

I can understand that where you want to change the characteristics of a service you need to delete and re-instantiate it but should there not be a check that prevents the same service being advertised multiple times?

About

Avatar for cefitzger @cefitzger started