You are reading a single comment by @Gordon and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Hi,

My take on this is:

• Most of the other solutions out there are designed mainly for embedding some JS inside a larger C application. Espruino is designed primarily for writing purely JS, and you can create your own builds with C in if you need.
    • As a result of the above, Espruino should have a far shallower learning curve for getting started than most of the others (eg you don't need any C knowledge or toolchain at all).
    • We put a lot of work into making Espruino easy to use and get started with - eg loads of docs and tutorials. As far as I can tell, the other options all fall seriously short here.
    • Espruino's designed for devices with very low amounts of available RAM. You'll find your memory goes further with Espruino, but that Espruino's execution speed isn't as fast as some of the others.
    • The others generally attempt to implement all of JS ES5. Espruino implements most (but not all) of ES5 and several ES6 features - we attempt to implement what people use. http://www.espruino.com/Features
    • We don't try and tie you in to a specific ecosystem for IoT on Espruino. Espruino supports MQTT/HTTP/JSON/etc so generally you just use it with whatever IoT service you're interested in.

These projects all consume a huge amount of time to develop and maintain - so I think it's important to look at how they're funded:

• low.js - selling the Neonious board. The ESP32 port isn't Open Source so I'd be a little worried where you stand here.
    • Iot.js - Samsung - I'm not sure where you stand with support
    • Mongoose - they're selling their platform so they'll want you to use that, however they also provide paid support by the look of it.
    • Espruino - is funded mainly by sales of the official Espruino boards that run Espruino. We make nothing from ESP8266/ESP32 so offer no support - apart from what the (very good) community provides.

Hope that's some help!

About

Avatar for Gordon @Gordon started