Espruino command-line tool on MAcOS, how to install?

Posted on
  • Hi

I’m struggling with making working the command-line tools on MacOS High Sierra.
    I have tried via Homebrew and via MacOS installer from nodejs.org and still getting some errors permission related when installing:
    sudo npm install -g serialport
    sudo npm install -g espruino

even if I manage to install it with some errors and warnings, espruino does not see serial ports.
    Espruino Web IDE works absolutely fine.
    Any suggestions how to install the fully working command-line espruino on MacOS please?
    I would love to use it with Atom.
    Thank you

• Hi!

Perhaps it is the case you are using node v10 and higher? The serialport version that the espruino package uses doesn't install there (I created an issue for that yesterday https://github.com/espruino/EspruinoTool­s/issues/86).

It all works for me with node v8.x.

Best Regards
    Standa

• It looks like that's the problem - are you on Node 10?

I just installed Node 10 and unfortunately it seems that I can't find any version of serialport that will install. Let's discuss it on that GitHub issue.

@Grzegorz_ please can you just post up your issue once in future? I do look at all the posts, so posting twice just means it takes me marginally more time to answer your questions.

• Hi
    Apologies for crossposting, I have installed node v8 with serialport and Espruino works fine, thank you!!!

• Great! I've also updated the CLI tool to a new version of the serialport library so it should now work even in Node 10.

However Node 10 has broken the Bluetooth library as well and there's nothing I can do about that - so you're definitely best off sticking with Node 8 for now.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Espruino command-line tool on MAcOS, how to install?

Posted by Avatar for Grzegorz_ @Grzegorz_

Actions