• Thank you again for your attempt at mitigating the bug that I am facing. There are a few things I would like to cover regarding the code that you've provided, but it's important to note upfront that your changes still result in the same error that I am facing, so I would definitely call it a bug at this point.

First off, your code has an unrecoverable syntax error on line 13:
    error in your code

This was an easy fix, just had to find the syntax issue.

Secondly, accessing a property on an object, regardless if it's global or not, does not need to be accessed via bracket notation just because it has a number at the end, so this may mislead someone to think this makes a difference stumbling upon this issue:

donotneedbracketnotation

Like you stated, writing anything like the following is not idiomatic javascript, and as you stated, the code involves a security risk if there is anything interpolated into the string in the first argument (because it uses eval under the hood), so I wouldn't do this either (but for the purposes of finding this fs related bug, I will leave it for now):

potential security issue and not idiomatic

Without further ado, Here is a screenshot of the resulting syntactically correct code randomly failing to write 14 / 100 files:

14 writes failing

I think the most frustrating part is that this issue occurs on both writes and reads (When reading, somethings undefined is returned even though using fs.statSync showns that the file exists and has length).

Touching upon your other statement:

your other statement

I never stated that fs has a open or close function:

E.openFile

I was stating that I had also attempted an alternative way of writing a file, specifically the functionality below that I did not post originally, because I had stated that "The same problems occur" intermittently:

var file = E.openFile('test_f', 'w');
    file.write("wrote data");
    file.close();

Thank you again for all your help. I do not think there is any solution to this bug without looking under the hood, so I will file an issue on the github repo and then start digging.

I have written error handling code that retries writing on error, but even then, sometimes it completely stops allowing me from writing to any file what-so-ever, until I execute a full reboot (which won't work in my control flow). So In the end, I think I'm going to have to look at the C code to see if there is anything suspicious occurring.

About

Avatar for mike_k @mike_k started