Any people with iTracker RAK8212 here?

Posted on
Page
of 2
Prev
/ 2
  • Now it is Version 6. I did not find a newer version.

• Gordon, thanks for the code snippet. I was able to incorporate the CEREG poll into the bg96 connect function. Now it powers the module, waits 5 seconds then polls the module for the cell to connect. This makes it startup a bit faster.

• @Kartman
    You wrote that you are updating the firmware using USB. Did you already try this for the RAK8212? And how do you do this? Are you using the Adaptor Board and QFlash?

• The board i was using has a bg96 and the designers were kind enough to provide a usb connector. Yes, i was using qflash. As for the RAK modules, they’re still stuck with the version 5 firmware.

• Just wrote a small blog entry at https://bit.ly/2Eq15Pk

1. Why to better use a BLE connection instead of the serial USB connection
    2. How to interface the modem using the "AT" Espruino module
    3. How to create a NB-IoT (NB1) connection in german radio networks (Vodafone, 1NCE)

Feel free to comment there if you like to give feedback.

• In regard to the sister blog entry about LoRa Gateway Antenna Upgrade:

I'm surprised that the aerials are horizontal and the significant length difference between them and the wip.

For regular 1/4 wave length ground plane antennas with standard impedance - 50R - the (four) aerials point about 45 degrees down and wip and aerials have about the same length. See M0UKD's 1/4 Wave Ground Plane Antenna Calculator.

Do the supplier(s) of your upgrade antenna and the gateway mention:

• Impedance?
    • Typical wave propagation pattern?
    • Low loss coax?
    • Placements of antenna and gateway?
  • The horizontal members are most likely groundplane and not radiators. I gather the antenna was to be ultimately installed outdoors, so with any significant distance the loss of the coax becomes a consideration. Thankfully, with the advent of WiFi, the demand for cheap low loss coax was created and we got the likes of LDF400 that have significantly better performance than RG213 and also means we don't need to work with Heliax. (if you don't know what heliax is - Google it and compare the loss between RG213/LDF400 and Heliax at 800-900MHz)

• Nice - thanks for the write-up! That should be really helpful for others trying to get NB-IoT working.

Once connected, did you have any luck transferring data? Or is that TCP send issue still blocking you?

• Hi @wklenk, thanks for sharing this precious information. I was looking for using Bluetooth Low Energy connection and NB-IoT connection creation.

• Hi,
    Glad I came across this thread. I am interested in getting one of these devices and have am looking for some advice. Are you still actively developing/maintaining this? What sort of batteries are you using? I am I tested in positing the location for a few months without changing the battery. I know there are many factors to consider regarding the battery but some initial guidance (like watch batteries are fine) would be appreciated.

Has anyone come across waterproof cases for these?

• Watch batteries have no hope of powering the cellular module. You need to use Lithium Ion batteries. Unfortunately the RAK8212 has a poor voltage regulator that draws more current than the cellular module in sleep, so this module is a poor choice for something that has to run for a long time.

As for waterproof cases, there's many suppliers of IP rated enclosures.

• Hi,

Thank you very much for getting back to me. Given your reply I have decided this is not the tool for the job I have.

Much appreciated.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Any people with iTracker RAK8212 here?

Posted by Avatar for wklenk @wklenk

Actions