Am I required to program the pixl.js over bluetooth?

Posted on
  • I'm wanting to get the Pixl.js for my current project that I am working on, plus I want to learn about bluetooth. I am basically going to use the pixl to show my computer status(cpu, mem and etc...) and also send the values to my cell phone via bluetooth.

Will I be required to program the pixl over bluetooth instead of using usb? I also want to get my computer values using usb serial then print them out onto the lcd. Will I need to use a FTDI to achieve this?

• I think I may have answered my question..... I stumbled across Serial Console in the Pixl ref page.

• Will I need to use a FTDI to achieve this?

Another option could be to use the Nordic UART service (http://infocenter.nordicsemi.com/index.j­sp?topic=%2Fcom.nordic.infocenter.sdk5.v­12.2.0%2Fble_sdk_app_nus_c.html&cp=4_0_1­_4_2_0_2) in order to send data from your computer to the Pixl

• Yes, you're right - there's only Bluetooth on the device itself. USB is just for power.

I believe some Adafruit bluefruit LE USB boards can be configured to bridge Bluetooth LE serial to USB serial, but it's a bit of a faff.

You can wire up a $5 USB-Serial converter really easily though - just 3 wires. You found it, but just for anyone else looking, here's the link: http://www.espruino.com/Pixl.js#serial-c­onsole

• @Jean-Philippe_Rey
    Thank you for the recommendation. I will look into this.

@Gordon I have a couple of those converters laying around. Both can power 3.3v and 5v. Im assuming 3.3v option is what I should use?

• It's up to you - you could connect:

• 5v from USB to Pixl.js Vin

Or

• 3.3v from USB to Pixl.js 3.3v

Personally I'd say do the first one - it's safer, since you're then using Pixl.js's own 3.3v regulator to get the right voltage.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Am I required to program the pixl.js over bluetooth?

Posted by Avatar for d0773d @d0773d

Actions