• @Wilberforce So just to wrap up this topic for posterity, after spending an evening investigating, I found a couple of things.

First of all the board does work with 1v97 and earlier. The reason it did not work before on 1v97 was I was using a later build (non release), that had Bluetooth. The non Bluetooth version works fine.

When investigating the difference between Arduino and Espruino, I saw that in sdkconfig.h (located in "app/build/include" in the Espruino SDK), the config is set to:

"#define CONFIG_ESP32_XTAL_FREQ 40"
    "#define CONFIG_ESP32_XTAL_FREQ_40 1"

Where as in the Arduino sdkconfig.h the settings are:

"#define CONFIG_ESP32_XTAL_FREQ 0"
    "#define CONFIG_ESP32_XTAL_FREQ_AUTO 1"

The official docs from Espressif say you can have 40mzh, 26mhz, 24mhz, or "auto".

I changed the settings actually and did a few recompiles and flashings, none of these made any difference. The baud rate on my board was stil 74880, and the radios didn't work. Wifi returned nothing, and Bluetooth worked maybe 10% of the time. I can't confirm that Bluetooth worked on 1v97, obviously, as the non Bluetooth build was the only one which seemed to function "normally".

So adding the Bluetooth code definitely is the marker in the build progression where this started. While for sure it is just one board, as we saw there is also at least a Sparkfun ESP32 module that has a 26mhz crystal. Maybe something to look at when everyone has time, I know there are alot of other priorities in this great effort you and JumJum are doing. I am curious what the change was with adding the Bluetooth code.

About