• Thr 2018.08.16

Well this one baffles me.

I wanted to play with a Pico that hadn't been powered up in over six months. The code file was still in tact and the breadboard still wired. Using USB cable for power. Launch IDE. Plug in Pico via cable, onboard red LED flashes once and Windows10 connection sound bite becomes audible. Click ORG connect button 'Select a Port' dialog renders. Click - 'Connecting' then immediate 'Connected to port COM4' followed by 'Unable to retrieve board information. Connection Error?'
    then 'Disconnected'

After many connection - relaunch attempts;

Didn't want to add another layer of confusion, but wondered if the firmware was toast. So in frustration, went through the IDE firmware flash process, which in fact was successful and now have 1V99 and familiar 'Espruino' banner renders on left pane.

Was able to run several left pane instructions and loaded a few code snippets in right hand pane. Success! Took a break.

Upon returning, Pico had disconnected and ORG connect button was rendered. Greeted with 'No Ports Found' Ol' familiar Window10 routine.
    Close IDE. Power down Pico. Relaunch IDE. Power Pico. Attempt connect. Now the Error.

I had been playing with a Puck recently, and now unable to recall if I re-installed the IDE as I was one that was confused as to which IDE was specific for the Puck. Now I understand it is the native IDE. That is now at:

Web IDE version 0.68.6
    Baud 9600 tried at 115200

Here is the IDE console output, full content attached:

ERROR: [notify_error] Unable to retrieve board information. Connection
    Error? Loading http://www.espruino.com/json/PICO_R1_3.j­son Board JSON
    loaded Firmware >1.43 supports faster writes over USB Set Slow Write =
    false FIRMWARE: Current 1v99, Available 1v99 Device found
    (connectionId=2) [success] Connected to port COM4

Connected to port COM4

I cleaned the Pico contacts with a pink Pearl eraser. I added more tension to the USB holding tabs. I am successful at flashing the Pico. So connectivity doesn't appear to be an issue. Kept Baud rate at 9600, but not sure if that would have an impact.

At times, during a code upload, the 'Sending' green progress bar doesn't always go far right, so I'm never sure if the code actually uploaded.

Baffled that I am able to at least once, connect and flash, write some code, then poof - start cycle over.

From Settings >> About

Board Information
    VERSION 1v99
    GIT_COMMIT f0d66ba
    BOARD PICO_R1_3
    FLASH 393216
    RAM 98304
    SERIAL 25005800-13513335-32373134
    CONSOLE USB
    MODULES Flash,Storage,fs,net,dgram,tls,http,Netw­orkJS,WIZnet,tv,hashlib,crypto,neopixel
    EXPTR 536871156

Ideas anyone? Thanks in advance. . . .

1 Attachment

• An example where 'Sending' green progress bar doesn't always go far right and IDE hangs as can be seen from console output.

Find attached the console output when I upload the following code snippet from:

http://www.espruino.com/Individually+Add­ressable+LEDs

I was unable to get the snippet 'random colours' to work, so I started a cut-n-paste of known working snippets in an attempt to understand that function.

As the IDE hangs during upload, dis-connect is an only option. Then unable to reconnect with error as in #1 above.

2 Attachments

• Either the 'Native' or 'Chrome Web App' IDE should work fine for USB devices - it's just the IDE website that can't communicate with them. Baud rate doesn't matter for Espruino USB devices either.

How are you powering the 25 neopixels? 25x 60mA is 1.5 Amps, which is more than the Pico's polyfuse will take - while uploading your code it turns on all the neopixels random amounts and it's pretty likely that it'll trip that fuse and the Pico will power down, which will mess up your upload.

It's possible that could get the IDE into a bad state where it wasn't communicating properly, but I can't reproduce it here.

Have you tried uploading some more simple code? There are some issues with the code you're uploading (like writing 25 times to all the neopixels during the upload process) - it shouldn't really cause problems, but it won't be helping matters...

• Fri 2018.08.17

Thank you for responding @Gordon.

Although I hadn't indicated, it is amazing how we envision anothers project. For powering Neopixels, I knew the Pico only had a 3.3V 250mA regulated output, so that option was out. I also understood that a USB 2.0 port could only supply 500mA so might run the risk of blowing that up. Didn't want that risk, so during initial design finalization, I was able to locate a single SK6812 breakout board from DigiKey that I picked up eighteen months ago. 60mA Incidentally, I'm trying to locate that code file as it used the 'pre neopixel' module and worked fine then, to rule out the new module.

re: while uploading your code it turns on all the neopixels

Why should the Neopixels be activated during the 'upload' process? In general why would code execute during a upload/copy process?

re: There are some issues with the code you're uploading (like writing
    25 times to all the neopixels during the upload process)

Correction to link in #2 above the snippet 'random colours' is from example http://www.espruino.com/WS2811

Am I to understand that when using the upload button press process for right hand pane code blocks, that code is already executing before the upload is complete and before E.init is detected?

If True, wont that make for erractic code execution since some lines would execute before the corresponding function definition has been loaded?
    That just strikes me as being odd.

Isn't that what the E.init entry point is for, making sure that nothing else executes before the init() function?
    http://www.espruino.com/Reference#l_E_in­it

I'll continue futzin with different combinations and other code files to see if I am able to uncover any other observations.

• @Robin,

why would code execute during a upload/copy process?

yes, read through the conversation about simple explanation how to save code that espruino run on start?.

• In general why would code execute during a upload/copy process?

http://www.espruino.com/Saving

Why should the Neopixels be activated during the 'upload' process?

// random colours
    var arr = new Uint8ClampedArray(25*3);
    var n = 0;
    for(var i=0;i<25;i++) {
      arr[n++] = Math.random()*255;
    //}
    require("neopixel").write(B15, arr);
    //delay();
    }

That's not actually the code from http://www.espruino.com/WS2811 - you added the require("neopixel").write(B15, arr); inside the loop - so it's outputting 25x the 25 LED strip, and is doing so during the upload process.

Normally what you might do is:

function onTimer() {
      var arr = new Uint8ClampedArray(25*3);
      var n = 0;
      for(var i=0;i<25;i++) {
      }
      require("neopixel").write(B15, arr);
    }

setInterval(onTimer,100);

Where the only command that's actually executed is setInterval.

Am I to understand that when using the upload button press process for right hand pane code locks, that code is already executing before the upload is complete and before E.init is detected?

Yes - by default. Check out the Saving link above - there's a bit of explanation in there. If you upload all at once and then execute you need twice as much memory as you need the original program text, plus the 'parsed' version of all the functions.

Isn't that what the E.init entry point is for, making sure that nothing else executes before the init() function?

Yes, that's why you should put the code you want to execute at startup inside it rather than in the body of your code :)

• ...the issue is that the loop is in level 0... (JS to be executed immediately)... (the upload has already primed the module cache with the neopixel module - before the upload of the code (w/ the loop in level 0).

• @Gordon,

Saving code on Espruino
    When you upload code to Espruino normally, it is stored in Espruino's RAM. If you reset the board or power is lost, all your code will be lost.

is not good enough on page espruino.com/Saving for people who do not come from a world of Espruino where code is executed on reception, or Browser (editing/modifying the dom while receiving dhtml), or 'writing' Smalltalk (editing the *life image), or Basic, or Python, or any other language when in the interpreter mode / context (not in the OS or command context)... just like the ZX80 / 81, ommodore Pet world, or any os (DOS) after invoking the basic interpreter... which did not have OSes, that was.

Some more has to be explained there: ...uploading code means executing code on Espruino:

• statements (in level 0) are executed right away
    • function as specified function abc(...) {...} (in level 0) is also something like an immediately executed statement: assigning a function to a (global) variable w/ name as the function name, just like the alternate definition of a function using var abc = function() {...};. (it tells Espruino to create a function with given code and store it in the global variables).
    • timeouts / intervals (set in level 0) will fire when time is up and upload has not completed yet...

Entering the JS expressions in the left side is the same as uploading code on the right side - with one little but very significant difference: before (and while code is about to be sent), require(...s are detected and module is sent to Espruino Modules cache, in order to have it ready when encountered (in level 0 code on receiving it by Espruino or 'deferred' when application actually will run).

Opposite to the Browser where JS - all JS expressions - between the script tags are received and parsed as block ***before execution *** of the block***, Espruino executes after reception of every complete JS expression that very expression.

• Fri 2018.08.17

It appears I have two or more simultaneous issues to resolve. The more difficult debugging task, rats!

Point: As I have been unsuccessful at completing an upload, it would not be yet possible to learn that a line(s) of code are corrupting the upload process.

An interesting Catch-22

Now that it has been made clear that code can execute before uploading is complete and possibly cause an IDE error, I'll start with that. Never occurred to me that upload could become corrupt from a static code file.

http://www.espruino.com/Saving

One can not learn of this precious factoid link as there is no entry point to that page:

http://www.espruino.com/Quick+Start
    http://www.espruino.com/Tutorials
    http://www.espruino.com/Pico

There is only one hyper link on an unrelated topic 'code is lost on power up' in
    http://www.espruino.com/FAQ

FYI Typing in search the most obvious term 'uploading' returns no results

Thought: When flashing new firmware, is the entire chip erased similarly to a format command, or are the contents of the Flash portion remain in tact, similarly to how the bootloader remains untouched?

• Flashing also erases uploaded code that has been saved (erase may not be the exact fact, but the pointers to the saved code are gone or the state that there is saved code is reset). Once saved code, there is always saved code... even uploading an empty editor (which is the method I use to remove saved code). The startup log entries are different: mentioning the execution of saved code is absent after flashing, and present after upload.

May be there is another way to remove the information about saved code than (re)flashing (with same version).

• Sun 2018.08.19

Would someone that is able to flash an Espruino device without interrupting their current project be so kind as to provide a sanity check for me please.

There appears to be some confusion from what appears to be opposing statements #10 @allObjects:

re: Flashing also erases uploaded code that has been saved

and

re: Once saved code, there is always saved code

When I flash a Pico on a Win10 PC via the native IDE Settings >> Flasher >> Flash Firmware, every other Tuesday, when the wind is from the NW, skies partly cloudy, facing due East at precisely 07:01 pm CST, after a walk, but before having something to eat, disconnect, re-connect and
    type 'dump()' in the Left-hand terminal window pane of the IDE, Javascript statements appear, although not orderly and possibly garbled.

http://www.espruino.com/Reference#l__glo­bal_dump

My observations of present code contradict the two statements above. Could this garbled detail be from the IDE memory space and not the Pico? (no)

This makes sense:

re: but the pointers . . . . are gone

Did I mis-understand the point in #10 above, or should I do this on a Thursday instead?

• statements (in level 0) are executed right away

Sun 2018.08.19

@allObjects I would like to learn more about 'level 0' as you indicate in #8 above:

Presumeably there are other levels?

I found an article, but no mention, so must not be clued in on the correct verabage to submit to a Google search.

http://davidshariff.com/blog/what-is-the­-execution-context-in-javascript/

Thank you in advance, Robin

• Perhaps a better term would be global scope. The next level would be inside a function, so anything declared within a function is not accessible outside the scope of the function. Modules are an example of this. The only access to objects methods and variables are the items that get exported.

• @Robin, sure. I'm in a time bind right now, but like to come back on the term 'level 0', or global scope/context - as @Wilberforce - points out. Pls ping me when I do not followup.

• Saving - One can not learn of this precious factoid link as there is no entry point to that page

It's there - a (more information) link after You can save the state of Espruino so this doesn't happen using the save() command on http://www.espruino.com/Quick+Start+Code­ (which is where you'd go after you followed the USB/BLE Quick Start to get connected). It's also linked from the FAQ and Troubleshooting.

I'll add a keyword for 'upload/uploading'. I'm open to suggestions for extra places to link it, although there's a huge amount of information on the Espruino site, and it's a constant struggle to provide users with enough information to get started without overloading them to the point where 90% of them don't read anything.

@allObjects I know what you mean about Saving perhaps not properly explaining everything - again, I'm open to contributions.

When I flash a Pico on a Win10 PC via the native IDE Settings >> Flasher >> Flash Firmware... dump() ... Javascript statements appear

Could you post up the code that appears?

Your question about flashing to format all saved code is a little more involved than 'yes' on some devices, but on the Pico&WiFi it's not. If you reflash the Pico using the IDE and it completes successfully, it will erase all code. I can guarantee that.

So if it isn't erased then either the flashing hasn't worked, or code got uploaded since you did the flashing.

On Espruino 1v99 and later, just type reset(true) and it'll remove all saved code though - it's quicker and easier :)

level 0

As @Wilberforce says - global scope is probably a more general term here.

I think JavaScript in a webpage is a good example here - If you write:

Some text
    <script>
    for (var i=0;i<100000000000000;i++);
    </script>
    Some more text

On a webpage, that's going to make the webpage take a very long time to load enough to show Some more text, and probably the browser will report an error after a while. That's running in what we're calling level 0 or the global scope here.

If you upload:

<script>
    function iWillTakeALongTime() {
      for (var i=0;i<100000000000000;i++);
    }
    </script>

Then that's merely defining a function containing the code. The for loop isn't in the global scope, but function iWillTakeALongTime() { ... } is. The statement function iWillTakeALongTime() { ... } is still being executed, but the result of executing that statement is that a function called iWillTakeALongTime is loaded into memory, not that the for loop gets executed.

• Mon 2018.08.20

@Gordon, there is still a bit of apparent confusion here. Although I have a better grasp on these issues, I feel that anyone new to this environment would have a heck of a time understanding what is going on. As did @allObjects also pointed out in #8. I only mention the following as it is likely that they might go down the same path.

re: 'it's a constant struggle to provide users with enough information to get started without overloading them'

Yes, agree totally. It is a very complex topic to handle all situations for each possible type of users development environment. No complaints
    from me. The documentation is rather complete and easy to understand.

re: 'You can save the state of Espruino so this doesn't happen using the save() command'

From #6 I originally asked:

'In general why would code execute during a upload/copy process?'

The response was the http://www.espruino.com/Saving link. On that page,

'it's easy to save your code to flash memory and make it permanent'

So, as I read that, those concepts are on how to 'save' and use of the 'save'()' command. But the thought process is on the 'uploading' task.
    And, I'm stuck in that task at the moment. This is not the act of saving which is a task that is done to preserve commands once working. I was in the process of attempting to get code sent to the Pico to get it running, not commands to save code that hadn't yet been written. Big difference.

Incidentally adding will help

'I'll add a keyword for 'upload/uploading'

When the response from #6 was received, it didn't make sense to read on with the second sentence indicating to save code.

'it's easy to save your code to flash memory and make it permanent'

Even after reading the 'Saving' page, still haven't found what I need to know about the original question posed:

'In general why would code execute during a upload/copy process?'

This is why @allObjects also agreed and posted his observations in #8

'Why' has been explained in #6 and #8 no need to re-hash.

• Mon 2018.08.20
    Well, this is getting rather lengthy, but I'm hangin' in there as this might assist others in a similar situation.

Thank you to @allObjects and @Gordon in their responses above as their insight provided enough to resolve what is going on.

I'm replying in several more manageble chunks to make review easier and as I'm not sure of the reply char count max.

Observations:

There were three separate simultaneous situations going on:

1) A repeatable project code file load native IDE anomaly

that occurs when uploading using the Right-hand text-editor pane, when:

2) Syntactically correct Javascript lines of code, but poorly placed

causing the upload process to not complete, that then causes repeatable error:

3) 'Unable to retrieve board information. Connection Error?'

As the IDE freezes, the only way to continue is to close the IDE and power down the connected device

Recap:
    Eighteen months ago, I had a single SK6812 Neopixel demo working powered by a Pico using code fragments that are now superceeded by the 'neopixel' module.

ref old Neopixel commands (circa Jan 2017)

SPI2.setup({baud:3200000, mosi:B15});
    // Note: GRB not RGB
    SPI2.send4bit([255,0,0], 0b0001, 0b0011); // grn

To assist another in a separate forum post, I fired up my Pico mounted on a breadboard. Unable to locate that older working code file, I copied the snippets and 'random colours' from the current Aug 2018 tutorial http://www.espruino.com/WS2811
    Upon upload not completing, the error 'Unable to retrieve board information. Connection Error?' occurs.

As the pre 'neopixel' module code worked six months ago, my first incorrect conclusion was to blame the new module.

The response from #7 set me straight that I was on the wrong solution path.

I found the documentation superb and the authors need be recognized for their efforts. I only point out the following in the anticipation of helping others.

• Tue 2018.08.21

Situation 3

Error: 'Unable to retrieve board information. Connection Error?'

The user is stuck in a Catch-22 at this point. As code 'Send to Espruino' never completes the upload process, one is unable to load the debugger, nor is one able to garner much more from the IDE console output. Without ample prior awareness and a load of actual usage, one may not have the insight as to what to do. The reason I started this post.

It is not intuitive that a static code file can cause the IDE to freeze

I agree with @allObjects in #8

re: for people who do not come from a world of Espruino where code is executed on reception

for the intuitive reason I stated. As one is able to type commands directly in the Left-hand pane terminal window

http://www.espruino.com/Quick+Start+Code­

and later learn that the same commands can also be typed in the Right-hand text editor, it never becomes obvious that a static ASCII file may cause issues as did this one I uncovered.

Until you find . . . .

• Tue 2018.08.21

Situation 2

Syntactically correct Javascript lines of code, but poorly placed

Reading the link provided by @allObjects in #5 above, then @Gordon #3 comment Have you tried uploading some more simple code?

and after twenty plus upload restart cycles isolated the fact that code in a static file was in fact the culprit. I learned this before the balance of the responses, but those helped, as it validated what I was also seeing. A big plus.

Actually taking a close inspection of the results of 'dump()' and after reading:

From http://www.espruino.com/Saving

Beneath 'Notes'

'You may be able to save code to Espruino that puts it into a state that stops you from reprogramming it.'

Here was the a solution to my issue that provided the insight as to what was going on:

'holding down a button while applying power can be used to force the device to boot without loading any of the saved code'

In that process however, I noticed an IDE anomaly, that through sheer persistance was the root cause of not being able to make progress:

• Tue 2018.08.21

Situation 1

A repeatable project load native IDE anomaly

Related issue but could be considered a unique new thread:

re from #6: That's not actually the code from

http://www.espruino.com/WS2811

I've discovered a near 100% repeatable anomaly with the IDE.

Create code in Right-hand pane, upload to Pico, debug-upload, then when satisfied saved file to disk. Make edits to code in Right-hand pane, save then upload. If upload progress hangs and does not complete, disconnect and close the IDE. At this point your only option. Key point: Upload Hangs

I actually commented out the offending Neopixel write and delay lines. But, . . . .

Here is where the anomaly occurs. When the IDE is relaunched, the last code edits that were saved to disk do not get loaded into the Right-hand pane, leaving the corrupt code present that then also does not completely upload to the Pico. At this point, the anomaly is 100% repeatable. If not paying attention and miss that the old code is still there as it is beyond the 30 visible lines on IDE relaunch and then fail to manually reload the file that was saved to disk, one is stuck in the inability to get any code moved on to the Pico at all. This is partially what was causing my headaches, but I am now wiser to take the extra step and reload the code from disk EVERYTIME the IDE is restarted.

Why doesn't the last saved file get loaded into the Right-hand pane on relaunch, . . . . Everytime?

Incidentally, the saved edits do appear in the ASCII file save to disk Win10 edit file reveals this fact.

Still need an explanation as to why the Pico Board Information appears to be recognized by the IDE Settings >> About, but when one attempts to connect, the error 'Unable to retrieve board information. Connection Error?' occurs. Why does the IDE understand the Pico data block but extracting that from the Pico is unsuccessful? Related to the apparent caching that occurs with the user saved code?

• Tue 2018.08.21

Summary

The ol' saying: 'Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted'

It's interesting to note that two missing slashes that weren't getting reloaded after a manual save could cause such fun! ;-)

It never becomes apparent that the last saved file is not getting reloaded, when code edits are beyond visible line 30 during app launch. It is as if a cached file image is never updated, and on relaunch that the pre-save image is used rather than the actual file content that is on disk. This actuality is what blocked me from making progress. You never see a visible change in the Right-hand pane on relaunch so most likely would never think to look lower down, further into the file to see if the changes took place. Why should one, when a save was last initiated? One expects save, well to actually save and re-launch to actually load our previously saved code.

I also had to hold down the reset button and plug the Pico in to erase, before I could successfully upload. Once at least one valid code block did upload, I was able to continue edits and upload went fine from then on.

An individual new to this environment most likely would never know what to do at this point either. I hope these last three Situation posts and this Summary will assist others, should they have the same error.

Thanks again @Gordon and @allObjects for the insight in providing enough to get me up and running. This was one heck of use of time, but did provide a wealth of Experience. . . .

• As @Robin AND @Gordon point out regarding my self doubt about a better way to clear saved code then re-flashing [see post #10] by using reset(1) as available in most recent release 1v99, I recognize that I have the rekindle my vigilance to absorb and take to heart to have top of my head all the great enhancements of every release to even a greater level as 4+ years ago when I fell in love with Espruino. ;-)

1 Attachment

• erasingSavedCode.png
  • Why doesn't the last saved file get loaded into the Right-hand pane on relaunch, . . . . Everytime?

It's a restriction of the Chrome Web App unfortunately - it's very hard do do anything when the app closes - so you either have to save every change (in which case Google has a limit to the number of saves to cloud storage) , or every upload - which is what I have been doing.

The new IDE code should help with this, but that's not live for Native IDE and Chrome Web App user yet.

Could you upload the exact code file that gave you the upload error please? Then at least i can try and figure out why it is breaking.

• Wed 2018.08.22

re: 'Could you upload the exact code file that gave you the upload error please?'

Are we on the same page here? I included the .js file in #2

re #3: 'There are some issues with the code you're uploading'

I made the assumption that your @Gordon responses were based on viewing that code file. If the inquiry was referencing the two slashes I mentioned, that is in front of the code line 'delay()' immediately following the 'write()' line inside 'random colours' My findings and summary documentation were immediately completed after that observation. Haven't even had time to get back to my original goal of writing code yet. Spent the first five days attempting to find a way to get a reliable stable environment. Please see this from my point of view, the IDE always locked then crashed, so had no way to access any of it's functionality. Ref #19

• Ok, sorry - I forgot that. Yes, the responses were - and I remember trying and it uploading fine - but I'll try again on windows and see when I'm back next week.

It'd be interesting to see if everything uploads fine with the LEDs disconnected?

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

On Pico WebIDE Connect - Unable to retrieve board information. Connection Error?

Posted by Avatar for Robin @Robin

Actions