Flash a new MDBT42Q with Espruino

Posted on
  • Hello,

I got a new MDBT42Q module from Raytac. I want to flash this with Espruino. I downloaded the espruino_1v96_puckjs_app.bin. Using USART, I am unable to program the device with Espruino.

We are using the program stm32loader.py (link) . However, the handshake never happens giving error

Can't init. Ensure BOOT0=1, BOOT1=0, and reset device

This is even though we are pressing the button when inserting the battery to let it go to boot loader mode.

Please help with the process of flashing Espruino into an MDBT42Q module.

Regards

• Hi,

The MDBT42Q doesn't have a bootloader in it as it comes, and even if it did, stm32loader.py is for different kind of chip (STM32 vs nRF52).

You'll need to buy an nRF52DK and connect it up to the special SWD pins on the module, then you can just copy the firmware to the nRF52DK's flash drive. However you'll need either to build your own bootloader, or to use the nRF52832DK firmware that doesn't use a bootloader.

• So, both the modules, MDBT42Q and STM32** have ARM cortex M4 based processor. So I thought in Puck (essentially MDBT42Q itself), Espruino runs on this ARM cortex.

If I got you correctly, you are saying I could flash Espruino on the MDBT42Q with nRF52DK ?
    Since you have already done so in Puck (MDBT42Q), can you please help me understand if this is the proper way indeed ? Or possibly use a Segger JTAG ?

Thanks.

• So, both the modules, MDBT42Q and STM32** have ARM cortex M4 based processor

Correct. However the UART bootloader is a piece of software that comes installed only on the STM32.

I could flash Espruino on the MDBT42Q with nRF52DK ?

Yes, you can. If you have any questions about how to do it, I'd ask Raytac directly since it's their module.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Flash a new MDBT42Q with Espruino

Posted by Avatar for user76916 @user76916

Actions