• I've experimented a little with the ESP32 using a custom Espruino class. I picked the ESP32 mainly because the DMA support is so much simpler. You just alloc some memory with the right flags and it handles the rest. I did look at doing this on STM32 but it's quite a bit more involved.

The main challenge was understanding the spi_device_queue_trans call and limitations. For the SH1106 we need to send 1024 bytes in 16 byte pages, ie. 64 sends. The ESP32 won't allow you to queue 64 transactions, so I split these into 4 sets of 16 transactions and, between each set of 16, we wait for the transactions to complete before proceeding with the next 16.

Cut a long story short, I managed to send 1024 bytes in just over 1ms... see pic. This is running the clock at 20Mhz.

I'm not sending any of the command data at the moment so that will add a bit more delay -- it will double the number of transactions.

Some of the remaining overhead might be due to the mutex locks in ESP-IDF mentioned in the linked post above. The only way to remove this completely would be to bypass this layer and go direct.

I notice that the SD1780 display (and possibly SH1106 -- haven't checked) support both horizontal and vertical addressing where the pages will automatically wrap, which should mean no control data between data transactions -- and possibly being able to send all the data in a single transaction, which would be super-quick. Will try that next.

Not quite sure why I'm so obsessed with maximum speed but it's a fun journey...

I have no idea how the existing layers in Espruino could be refactored to take advantage of bulk send/DMA. It's clear to me that on ESP32 at least the graphics buffer should be allocated in co-operation with the SPI sending code (ie. the display driver). I got a bit lost following the code under jswrap_arraybuffer_constructor (found via lcdInit_ArrayBuffer). This code seems to re-use allocation of strings in blocks which is clearly not very DMA-friendly. But I may have read it wrong.

Thanks

1 Attachment

• ESP32-dma-1.png
About