Puck.js as fuel dispenser logger

Posted on
  • Is it possible to use Puck.js as a fuel dispenser logger?

What I have in mind:

• Install Puck.js on vehicle. Attach vehicle plate number information to Puck.js.
    • Install magnet or Puck.js on fuel dispenser handle.
    • When refueling, Puck.js on vehicle will be close to magnet/Puck.js on fuel dispenser handle.
    • This will trigger the Puck.js on vehicle to send vehicle plate number information to nearby phone.
    • Phone will use this information together with refueling time, phone location to log the refueling event.
    • Once refueling is completed, puck.js stop sending vehicle plate number information.

Possible issues

• Fuel dispenser handle is made of metal too. Will the magnet on fuel dispenser work for Puck.js to detect?
    • How does Puck.js on fuel dispenser trigger the Puck.js on vehicle to send information to phone?

Is there a better way to log fuel dispenser usage?

• Hi - it definitely sounds like something it could do.

For the Puck to be able to 'send' data to a phone, you'll need to make an app that ran on the phone (you don't do anything by default or everyone would be sending you stuff when you walked down the street).

I think a magnet on the fuel dispenser would be a good idea (and smaller & more simple than another Puck), and you can then put the Puck.js right next door to the filler so when inserted the magnet is only maybe 2 inches away.

It depends on the vehicle, but if there's a door on the filler, could you just detect the time that door is open? You could put a magnet on that door, and then it'd save you having to put a magnet on every fuel dispenser you use?

• Thanks for the input!
    I just wanted a verification.

Never did anything with Puck and good to know it can send that information.

Never thought of using a Puck and a magnet on the same vehicle.
    Actually the number of fuel dispenser is less than vehicle.
    By putting the magnet on the fuel dispenser handle, I think I save a bit of magnets.
    Testing for the magnetometer reading would be interesting though.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Puck.js as fuel dispenser logger

Posted by Avatar for 2amredart @2amredart

Actions