• Looks like that could be the case... If you did this code: ...
    I'd have thought you might be able to reflash it.

Well, I'd hoped it would be possible. So am I to conclude that it isn't? I don't want to spend any more of your time or mine on this if it isn't. Time, maybe, to back way up and use it as intended. New to JS so I have lots to learn. :)

But if you do decide to reflash it externally, try and give it a try without resoldering. You can >issue JS commands to boot the ESP8266 into bootloader mode, and can set the RX and TX lines >to be open circuit with (digitalRead(A2) and A3).

I will give that a try first. Likely easier than removing the ESP8266 since that would likely be tougher than I first thought without removing the 2.54mm breadboard headers first.

The holes in the ESP8266 are small enough that you can actually just push dupont male pins
    (the standard jumper leads that you get with everything now) right into the holes and they'll
    stay there enough - all you need to connect is RX and TX (ground should already be handled by
    USB)

I see the holes but the board I received from Adafruit have the RX/TX ones filled with solder. A bit of flux and desolder wick should do the trick, though. (Not relevant, but interesting, the ESP-12S modules that Adafruit is selling don't even have holes, just the castellations.)

Thanks again for your help.

About