• Hello, I have purchased an official EspruinoWiFi and the book and both are wonderful. :)

However, being that the hardware is opensource, and that I am apparently a glutton for punishment, I decided to try my hand at making my own EspruinoWiFi from scratch.

I had PCBs made by OSH Park and, after one failed attempt at assembly, had a solder paste stencil made by OSH stencil.

The board actually appears to work with the WebIDE and I am ready to test the WiFi.

However, the ESP modules, purchased through Digikey, who get them from Adafruit, come with NodeMCU flashed onto them. Obviously not what is required for Espruino.

I see that the official board that I purchased comes with AT version:0.40.0.0 so I thought it would be good to flash the module with that version.

I tried following the instructions shown here after altering the code as such:

digitalWrite(A14,0); // power off
    digitalWrite(A13,0); // boot mode
    digitalWrite(A14,1); // power on
    Serial2.setup(115200, { rx: A3, tx : A2 });
    Serial2.on('data', function(d) { USB.write(d); });
    USB.on('data', function(d) { Serial2.write(d); });
    Serial1.setConsole();

The LED on the ESP module blinked once which I understand means that it has entered bootloader mode.

After that, I clicked on the disconnect button on the IDE and then tried communicating with the ESP-12 via the Espruino but no joy.

I just keep getting

A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to ESP8266: Timed out waiting for packet header

I know that I can either try soldering wires directly to the RX/TX pins on the ESP module and try that or just simply flash the ESP before soldering it onto the Espruino but it would be really awesome to get it to work through the Espruino itself.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

About