• @hutu, it all depends where you come from, what is readily available... and what the problem is you try to solve.

A long as you stay with the Arduino processing model - loops and delays - programming is easy. When exploiting what Micro-Python actually can do - events and callbacks - you have to master multi-threaded. For some makers, event and callbacks are already a challenge - that's why the simple and straight forward Arduino model is so popular. Multi-threaded programming poses challenges even to strong programmers. Espruino has events and callbacks but by the definition of JavaScript (and Espruno's implementation), multi-threading does not happen and therefore not something one has to worry about.

Indeed, Micro-Python goes further than Espruino JavaScript, but for me the Espruino JavaScript solution gives me most bang for the buck - buck being not just $ or £

Initially I wanted to pint out that Python despite its lead of 15+ years is nowhere near where node.js is, and JS a common ground on client and server... but going down that path is about as mature as the comparative word fight of kindergardeners shouting "...my dad is or has more xyz than yours...", with xyz changing being just anything popping in their head...

What happen to me is that Espruino knocked me of the Arduino track in less than a blink of an eye, even though I became aware of the Micro-Python / Pyboard before the Espruino JS / board early 2014. A major reason was and still is that I can cross/emulate-develop in the browser, even though since Spring this year 2017, Micro-Python runs now 'bare metal' also in the browser (on a Cortex-M3 emulation in .js / unicorn.js).

About

Avatar for allObjects @allObjects started