• I would like the puck to store a few numbers per hour, and then read it after a day. What would be the best way to make the data readable by mobile.

Is there any ready made code available? Not much of a programmer.

Thanks!

• This is for the puck, so I cant use an sd card, seen an example of that in the forum.

• Hi! Yes, no problem at all.

For something really simple, you can do:

var data = [];

function storeData() {
      var newData = E.getTemperature(); // for instance...
      data.push(newData);
    }

setInterval(storeData, 10*60*1000); // call every 10 minutes

If you upload that, after 10 minutes you'll have your first data element (the temperature), then another 10 minutes later, the next, etc.

You can read the data just by typing data and enter on the left-hand side of the IDE. However once you've got quite a bit of data, it'll be too much to fit on a line.

If you type data.forEach(a=>print(a)) then it'll print all the data items, one per line - which you could copy & paste into a spreadsheet. You could also turn that into a function that you can call:

function getData() {
      data.forEach(a=>print(a));
    }

To clear out all the old data you can also just write data=[].

This way's simple but isn't very efficient with memory so you'll only be able to store around 1000 data items (still, that's 150 hours recording every 10 minutes).

So... to get that on your mobile, you can run the same code on https://www.espruino.com/ide/ on an Android phone (or an iPhone with the WebBLE app).

Or... you could write your own Web Bluetooth webpage. This one will grab the data and just print it to the page:

<html>
     <head>
     </head>
     <body>
      <script src="https://www.puck-js.com/puck.js"></­script>
      <script>
        function getData() {
          Puck.eval('data', function(data) { 
            document.write(data.join('<br/>')); 
          });
        }
      </script>
      <button onclick="getData()">Get Data</button>
     </body>
    </html>

There's some more info on using Web Bluetooth pages here: http://www.espruino.com/Puck.js+Web+Blue­tooth

But once you have it loaded onto the page you could (for instance) display it in some fancier way, allow it to be downloaded, or maybe publish the data to Google Sheets.

• very good. Storing it in a multidimensional variable will do the trick for me.

But I am trying to do it without internet and the IDE, so maybe I can cycle the data through one of the BLE services, or advertise it? Just so I can read it 'offline' using only the nRF Connect app or something like that.

• Could the /ide page work offline? Can it be saved?

• Yes, the /ide page uses service workers, so should actually work offline as-is. Try disconnecting from the internet and going there (obviously once you've been on it already).

The code on the Puck itself doesn't have to change. You have a few options:

• you could actually just use the nRF UART app (Adafruit's bluefruit app should do it too). If you've uploaded the getData function then just type getData(), then newline, then send - and it'll dump all the data for you
    • You could make your own Android app using DroidScript - it's nice and easy and already has Puck.js support built in
    • You could make your own Android/iOS app
    • You could use service workers yourself to make your Web Bluetooth page available offline - there are a bunch of tutorials online about doing that.

Hope that helps :)

• Hello Gordon,

I got some questions.
    -I want to display my temperature and brightness into my webpage with two input text fields. ---Also i want to use Firebase database to store the values taken.
    -I tried to use Bootstrap to make my webpage look fancier but the bluetooth connection window doesn't show up.. is there any problem with that?
    Thanks!!

• I want to display my temperature and brightness into my webpage with two input text fields

That should be fine. Just use the code document.getElementById("mytextinput").v­alue = whatever_you_got; for each input field - I'm pretty sure I posted some example code for getting the data from Puck.js on one of the other posts you made?

I tried to use Bootstrap to make my webpage look fancier but the bluetooth connection window doesn't show up.. is there any problem with that?

There shouldn't be - I've seen bootstrap sites use Web Bluetooth before. Have you looked in the developer console to see if there are any errors?

You can't make the connection window appear at startup - it has to be in response to a user's click... so that might be one problem?

• I will check that again.. So I can store the values right?. is there any conflict with the Firebase database??
    Thanks. (you can delete my silly posts) after that.!

• I don't think so. It seems like this firebase example will probably pull data straight from a form after you've put the data in it: https://gist.github.com/dvidsilva/e000ac­c9610b21e43e0a58e5982bd6e9

There are tidier ways, but you can pretty much just copy&paste the two bits of code together and it'll work.

• Can u provide me the code of the 2 input texts (light , temp) that display each value as i mentioned before ?? and I will do the rest... just that(give the steps) cause I'm totally a beginner! I don't want a data[] array i just want the values to be displayed into these 2 input texts... Please Sir provide me the .html code

• It's literally just the 'Web Bluetooth Dashboard' code you found with input fields added and ...setValue replaced with document.getElementById("mytextinput").v­alue = whatever_you_got; that I posted above:

<html>
     <head>
      <title>Values as inputs</title>
     </head>
     <body>
      <script src="https://www.puck-js.com/puck.js"></­script>
      <script>
      // Called when we get a line of data - updates the light color
      function onLine(line) {
        try {
          var j = JSON.parse(line);
          console.log("Received JSON: ",j);
          document.getElementById("light").value = j.light*100;
          document.getElementById("temp").value = j.temp;
          document.getElementById("bat").value = j.bat;
          // here's where you would put your data online if you wanted it
        } catch(e) {
          console.log("Received: ",line, e);
        }
      }
      var connection;
      function connectDevice() {
        Puck.connect(function(c) {
          if (!c) {
            alert("Couldn't connect!");
            return;
          }
          connection = c; 
          // remove modal window

// Handle the data we get back, and call 'onLine'
          // whenever we get a line
          var buf = "";
          connection.on("data", function(d) {
            buf += d;
            var i = buf.indexOf("\n");
            while (i>=0) {
              onLine(buf.substr(0,i));
              buf = buf.substr(i+1);
              i = buf.indexOf("\n");
            }
          });
          // First, reset Puck.js
          connection.write("reset();\n", function() {
            // Wait for it to reset itself
            setTimeout(function() {
              // Now tell it to write data on the current light level to Bluetooth
              // every second. Also ensure that when disconnected, Puck.js
              // resets so the setInterval doesn't keep draining battery.
              connection.write("setInterval(function()­{Bluetooth.println(JSON.stringify({light­:Puck.light(), temp:E.getTemperature(), bat:Puck.getBatteryPercentage()}));},100­0);NRF.on('disconnect', function() {reset()});\n",
                function() { console.log("Ready..."); });
              }, 1500);
            });
          });

}

</script>
      <h1>Your data</h1>

<label for="light">Light</label> 
        <input name="light" id="light" type="text"><br/>
      <label for="temp">Temperature</label> 
        <input name="temp" id="temp" type="text"><br/>
      <label for="bat">Battery</label> 
        <input name="bat" id="bat" type="text"><br/>
      <button onclick="connectDevice()">Connect</butto­n>
     </body>
    </html>

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

What is the best way to make the Puck log data and read it by mobile? Any ready code for that?

Posted by Avatar for user82693 @user82693

Actions