Use a rs485 communication module

Posted on
Page
of 2
Prev
/ 2
  • and yes @Gordon, it's a long text and it is exactly why i work with Espruino,

. more ram
    . a better api for string manipulation (than arduino) = js,
    . a small form factor!
    . easy to program

:)

• :) The custom font is slower because Espruino has to unpack it from RAM - in Espruino things sometimes aren't stored in one block of memory to work around fragmentation - so for every access it has to check.

When using the built-in font it's using very specific, fast code to access flash.

Did you try the new firmware I linked? That should be a lot faster.

Actually thinking about it, it seems that atob doesn't create a flat string when it could do.

You might get faster rendering by doing:

var font = E.toString(atob("AAAAAPoAwADAAFhw2HDQAGS­S/5JMAGCW+DzSDAxSolIMEsAAPEKBAIFCPABIMOA­wSAAQEHwQEAABBgAQEBAQAAIAAwwwwAB8ipKifAB­A/gBChoqSYgCEkrLSjAAYKEj+CADkoqKinAA8UpK­SDACAgI6wwABskpKSbABgkpKUeAAiAAEmABAoRAA­oKCgoKABEKBAAQIqQYAA8WqW9RDgOOMg4DgD+kpK­SbAB8goKCRAD+goJEOAD+kpKCAP6QkIAAfIKCklw­A/hAQEP4A/gAMAgIC/AD+EChEggD+AgICAP5AIED­+AP7AMAz+AHyCgoJ8AP6QkJBgAHyChoN8AP6QmJR­iAGSSkpJMAICA/oCAAPwCAgL8AOAYBhjgAPAOMA7­wAMYoECjGAMAgHiDAAI6SosIA/4EAwDAMAwCB/wB­AgEAAAQEBAQEBEn6SggQABCoqHgD+IiIcABwiIhQ­AHCIi/gAcKioYACB+oIAAGCUlPgD+ICAeAL4AAQG­+AP4IFCIA/AIAPiAeIB4APiAgHgAcIiIcAD8kJBg­AGCQkPwA+ECAgABIqKiQAIPwiADwCAjwAIBgGGCA­AOAYIBjgAIhQIFCIAIRkGGCAAJioyIgAQboEA5wC­BbhAAQIDAQIAAPFqlpUI8cPh8+HAAcDhwACBg/mA­gAAgM/gwIABA4fBAQABAQfDgQAHxERER8AHxE9CR­cAHxUbFR8AP58OBAAEDh8/gACAAIAAgB8fHx8fAD­+/gD+/gACilIiAgACIlKKAgA+Yu5iPgACAgICAgA­GBgYGBgAODg4ODgAeHh4eHgA+Pj4+PgB+fn5+fgD­+/v7+/gD+/v7+/gAAAAAA/gD+/gD+/v4A/v7+/gD­+/v7+/gA4OHz+/gAMDPBAIACeADhE/kQIABJ8koI­EAEQ4KDhEAKhoPmioACh8qqqCAARSqpRAAJCkqKS­QAP6CupL+ABKqqqp6ABAoVChEADh8fHw4ADhUbFQ­4AP6Cpor+ABAYHBgQAGCQkGAAIiL6IiIASJioSAC­IqKhQACBAgAB/BAQIfABgkP6A/gAwMAAAAAAASPg­IADlFRUU5AEQoVCgQAOgWKl+CAOgQKVONAKj4Bgo­fAAYJUQIADpRkFA4ADhRklA4ADlSUVA4ATpSUVI4­AjjjIOI4ADlS0VA4APkj+kpIAeISFh0gAPqpqKiI­APmqqKiIAPmqqaiIAPqoqqiIAon4iACJ+ogBivmI­AYj5iABB+UkI8AH6QiES+AByiYiIcABwiYqIcAAx­SklIMAEySklKMALxCQkK8ACIUCBQiAD5DXWE+ADy­CQgI8ADwCQoI8ABxCgkIcALwCAgK8ACAQTpAgAIH­/JSQYAH+SkmwABKpqHgAEKmqeAARqql4ARKqqXoC­EKiqeAARqql4ATFI8UjQAGCUnJAgAHKpqKhgAHCp­qmAAcaqpYAByqKpgAon4CACJ+ggBivkIAYj5CAKR­KqhoMAF6QkE6AAAySUgwADBJSjAAMUpJMAEySUow­AnCIinAAQEFQQEAA6TFRkuAAcgkIcABxCghwAHEK­CXABcAgJcADAKSoo8AIH/FQgAMIoKijwA"));
    var widths = E.toString(atob("BAIEBgYGBgIEBAYGAwUCBQY­DBgYGBgYGBgYCAwQGBAUGBgYGBgUFBgYCBgYFBgY­GBgYGBgYGBgYGBgUDBQMEBgYFBQUFBQUFBQIEBQM­GBQUFBQUFBAUGBgYGBQQCBAYGBgQGBgYGBgYGBQU­GBgYGBgYGBgYGBgYGBgQCAwQFBgYGAgYGBgYGBgY­GBgYGBgYGBQYFBQQGBgMEBAYGBgYGBQYGBgYGBgY­GBgYGBgQEBAQGBgYGBgYGBgYGBgYGBgYFBQUFBQU­FBgYGBQUFBAQEBAYGBQUFBQUGBgUFBQUGBQY="))­;

Graphics.prototype.setFontDennis8 = function() {
        this.setFontCustom(font, 32, widths, 8);
      };

So basically Dennis8, but with E.toString around atob. I'd be interested to see what difference that makes?

I'll make a note to improve atob - there's no reason it shouldn't use flat strings, which would be a lot faster and more efficient

• @Gordon

timing test

t = getTime();
      g.setFontDennis8();
      g.drawString(texte,compteur,0);
      console.log("Draw took ",getTime()-t);

1v92 FIRMWARE
    with custom font like setFontDennis8 : 0,244
    with custom font simplified : 0,239
    with custom font like setFontDennis8 + E.toString() : 0,154
    with custom font simplifed + E.toString() : 0,155

1v92 CUSTOM FIRMWARE
    with custom font like setFontDennis8 : 0,106
    with custom font simplified : 0,106
    with custom font like setFontDennis8+ E.toString(atob) + : 0,094
    with custom font simplified + E.toString(): 0,094

therefor best result with:
    . custom firmware
    . E.toString()
    . nothing more with simplified font (only usefull char design)

• An other issue with the standart 1v92 firmware.
    with the quick setInterval() or serial1.write()
    i'm unable to upload code... upload stall at a point (variable). Have to unplug and plug pico board (1.4b) in bootloader mode and reinstall firmware.

with your custom firmware it always upload to board
    huge update for me : plug/unplug usb board crash my old macbook Pro (17 mid 2009) -> 1 time/4 unplug :/

thanks

é.

• Great! That's a definite improvement - and I'll see about trying to build the E.toString into atob.

Very strange about your crash during upload though - I don't know what would have changed. If you're not doing 'save on send' then absolutely everything you do when you upload should get erased just by unplugging and replugging.

• The crash is not an espruino issue, it's an usb issue, it produce too sometime with arduino...
    Last week i have to update firmware and install my code on 8 Picos.... I've got crashs (with automatic reboot and message) 4 time 😗. For simple and repetitive task, reboot had made it long and stressfull.

For the upload problem, i don't know, i've discovered the reset() instruction and it seems to resolve the problem (when code use short setInterval()). You're probably right, i just change my process for upload with in first step, a reset(). Have to check

• The Web IDE should do a reset() automatically before the upload (unless it was turned off in the options?), so I doubt that's you problem.

However if you have a very short setInterval outside of a function then that would take effect immediately and could keep the Pico too busy to properly process new data?

• Wow - this looks great!

found some cheaper flip dots https://hannio.org/en/?s=FlipDot&post_ty­pe=product

5x7 FlipDot controller + 5x 1x7 FlipDots for 40€ plus shipping

to bad no controller on stock :(

• I've bought it...😎
    I'm in vacation til mid august...
    I'll try when back home

• Controller back in stock !!!

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code