You are reading a single comment by @allObjects and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • EspruinoWiFi documentation explains that the 3.3v pin [ J2-3 ] is an output

That's true when you power thru 5V, because the 5V go to the 3.3V onboard voltage regulator and show up at the 3.3V pin for feeding other devices that need 3.3V (but at the same time do not overload the regulator when all the onboard things go on).

It is an input when powering with 3.3V directly.

This is the reason that you should power it from both sides, because then the powered regulator fights the 3.3V powering device... (Btw, this constraint is only for Espruino-Wifi. Original board and PICO have an additional component on board that prevents - in default setting - havoc when power is applied to both, USB/5V and 3.3V.

• Fri 2017.06.02

Thank you @allObjects for the simple response on dual power.

As there appears that re-editing seems to plague this thread, [me included ;-) ] isn't there a missing 'not' or 'never' in the sentence 'This is the reason that . . . ' and a missing closing ')' found in (#24) ?

@Gordon thank you for the clearing that up. I missed (what the device did\was) the 'LM3671' reference in post #22 and your similar responses to those posed by my suggested clarification. I felt it made more sense to ask explicitly so as to tie in with the documentation that appeared to have missing detail. I'm sure that the topic re-visit will help @trusktr and assist @Thinkscape and others as it has me.

Maybe there is a simple way to show how to connect, which pins to connect to, using the three power input choices in table format, perhaps? Bi-Directional [ J2-3 ] gave me fits until I studied the schematic, as the docs currently state it is an output pin.

About

Avatar for allObjects @allObjects started