nfc

Posted on
Page
of 2
Prev
/ 2
  • Are you using that image, or are you using something that you compiled yourself?

Yes

Are you taking the Puck out of NFC range before changing the tag with NRF.nfcUrl? I wonder whether that could be causing problems...

Yes, but perhaps my reader does not "finish" the transfer properly and the nfc state machine is left in a undefined state.

Do you have any contacts at Nordic who might be able to comment on this?

If not, I'm fine with keeping this behaviour in an unresolved state for the moment. Perhaps we can revisit it when you are not that busy. I haven't changed anything to the start/stop code. So mine should be fine too for most people. However it's a very long stretch as long as we do not know the reason for this anomaly.

• Yes

Just to be sure, which one do you mean? The 1v92 image from the website?

perhaps my reader does not "finish" the transfer properly and the nfc state machine is left in a undefined state.

It's possible, yes. Although presumably it's doing something different to my reader since I've tested it to death with what I have here.

I don't have a proper contact at Nordic, no. Since you have a build system set up and know your way around the code, I'd suggest you take Nordic's NFC sample code and see if you can reproduce with that - if you can, you/I can just post in the Nordic devzone and see what their reply is.

• I've used http://espruino.com/binaries/espruino_1v­92_puckjs.zip for my regression tests.

I'm also little busy at the moment, I will try it on the weekend.

Tank you for your effort.

• After fixing the easy issue (NFC and Crash) I've now revisited this one. I've found a solution. However I hit another strange effect while checking for regressions. I've tried to bisect to find the source, but it seams to be present in stock 1v92 also. After every 2nd or 3rd NFC read, my puck doesn't return to its low power state it keeps hovering a little above 1mA.

I would appreciate if you could check this one on your side.

• Wow, yes. Just tested. In my case literally just using NFC on a completely clean device running 1v92 bumped the power consumption up to over 1mA. That's really bad news.

I had a quick check with setSleepIndicator and it doesn't seem to be increasing the amount of wakeups/second - so it's presumably some bit of NFC hardware being left on.

I've filed an issue for it on GitHub - not sure if I'll get to look into it today, but I'll see if using the NFC code from the newer SDK fixes it. If not, I guess it's time to see if I can reproduce it with the nRF52DK and see if Nordic can find a solution.

• Ok, fixed - looks like there's a bug in the chip's NFC hardware that needs a workaround. Rather than check for the specific chip model, Nordic checked whether you were using their development board when compiling.

If you were using their development board, they fixed it. The second you compiled something for a real device, they disabled it :( I've re-added the definition for the workaround for Puck.js, so it should now work fine - it may in fact fix a lot of this sort of issue.

• you are fast, thank your very much!

• I've done various tests.

Battery consumption is back to normal and moreover the "NFC does not work after nfcURL(undefined)" bug seams to be fixed to. This obsoletes the workaround I was preparing.

• Great! Sorry it wasn't in there from the start - I guess I should have checked more.

Thanks for finding it though - that's massive. Just a shame all the new batch of Pucks have 1v92 on them with the issue in :)

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

nfc

Posted by Avatar for Bennr @Bennr

Actions