• Thanks for this explanation -- it was VERY helpful :)

So I basically managed to reduce my entire code to:

console.log("hello");

and it was still the same error. Your suggestion of looking at the logs was good and I may have found the problem. Basically it appears at one point to look for an ESP8266_4MB.json at the http://www.espruino.com/json/ ,but there isn't one there, as it would appear that its not been updated (ie: there's a board in GitHub for this board, but not in the /json directory online).

Could this be it? I can't get my code much smaller than one console log :P And yes I did reflash the board each time before I did this, to make sure I started from virgin state on the board.

GET chrome.storage.sync = {"AUTO_SAVE_CODE":true,"
    BAUD_RATE":"115200","BLOCKLY_EXTENSIONS"­:"|bluetooth|robot|","BLOCKLY_LANGUAGE":­"en","BLOCKLY_TO_JS":false,"BOARD_JSON_U­RL":"http://www.espruino.com/json","CODE­":"console.log(\"hello\");\n\n","COMPILA­TION":true,"COMPILATION_URL":"http://www­.espruino.com:32766","ENABLE_Testing":fa­lse,"ENV_ON_CONNECT":true,"FONT_SIZE":12­,"MINIFICATION_DeadCode":true,"MINIFICAT­ION_LEVEL":"SIMPLE_OPTIMIZATIONS","MINIF­ICATION_Literal":true,"MINIFICATION_Mang­le":true,"MINIFICATION_Unreachable":true­,"MINIFICATION_Unused":true,"MODULE_AS_F­UNCTION":true,"MODULE_EXTENSIONS":".min.­js|.js","MODULE_MINIFICATION_LEVEL":"SIM­PLE_OPTIMIZATIONS","MODULE_PROXY_ENABLED­":false,"MODULE_PROXY_PORT":"","MODULE_P­ROXY_URL":"","MODULE_URL":"https://www.e­spruino.com/modules","NPM_MODULES":false­,"OFFLINE_DATA":"","OFFLINE_DATA_DOWNLOA­D":"","OFFLINE_DATA_UPLOAD":"","OFFLINE_­ENABLED":false,"RESET_BEFORE_SEND":true,­"SAVE_ON_SEND":"1","SERIAL_AUDIO":"0","S­ERIAL_TCPIP":"","SERIAL_THROTTLE_SEND":f­alse,"SET_TIME_ON_WRITE":false,"SHOW_COD­E_LINK_ICON":false,"SHOW_WEBCAM_ICON":0,­"STORE_LINE_NUMBERS":true,"Sound_Error":­"","Sound_Info":"","Sound_Success":"","S­ound_Warning":"","Speak_Error":false,"Sp­eak_Info":false,"Speak_Success":false,"S­peak_Warning":false,"UI_MODE":"Normal","­WEB_BLUETOOTH":true}
    Initialising SettingsConsole
    Initialising Utils
    Initialising Config
    Initialising Notifications
    Initialising Status
    Initialising App
    Initialising File
    Initialising Code
    Initialising Serial
      - Initialising Serial Chrome Serial
      - Initialising Serial Chrome Socket
      - Initialising Serial Audio
      - Initialising Serial Web Bluetooth
    Initialising Terminal
    Initialising CodeWriter
    Initialising Modules
    Initialising Env
    Initialising Flasher
    Initialising EditorBlockly
    Initialising EditorJavaScript
    Initialising Send
    Initialising MenuPortSelector
    Initialising MenuSettings
    Initialising MenuFlasher
    Initialising SettingsAbout
    Initialising SettingsFlasher
    Initialising BoardJSON
    Initialising VersionChecker
    Initialising Compiler
    Initialising Assembler
    Initialising GetGitHub
    Initialising NPMModules
    Initialising SetTime
    Initialising Unicode
    Initialising Minify
    Initialising SaveOnSend
    Initialising Tutorial
    Initialising Webcam
    Initialising FontSize
    Initialising UiMode
    Initialising URLHandler
    Initialising CodeLink
    Initialising Project
    Initialising Testing
    Initialising Notification_Sound
    Initialising Tern
    Initialising Debugger
    Initialising Tour
    Initialising SettingsProfile
    Initialising HelpLinks
    Initialising Offline
    Loaded code from storage.
    GET chrome.storage.local.OFFLINE_DATA = 0 bytes
    >>> Connecting...
    Set Slow Write = true
    [object Object]
    Connected [object Object]
    Found a prompt... great!
    >>> Sending...
    ---> "\u0010console.log(\"<\",\"<<\",JSON.str­ingify(process.env),\">>\",\">\")\n"
    >>> Sent
    Got "< << {\"VERSION\":\"1v92.902\",\"BUILD_DATE\"­:\"May 25 2017\",\"BUILD_TIME\":\"14:26:02\",\"GIT­_COMMIT\":\"c234c0083c12697aef6cb5b48ad8­199e8bdadfb2\",\"BOARD\":\"ESP8266_4MB\"­,\"CHIP\":\"ESP8266\",\"CHIP_FAMILY\":\"­ESP8266\",\"FLASH\":0,\"RAM\":81920,\"SE­RIAL\":\"60019400-6edd\",\"CONSOLE\":\"S­erial1\",\"EXPORTS\":{\"jsvLock\":107585­0808,\"jsvLockAgainSafe\":1075850968,\"j­svUnLock\":1075852352,\"jsvSkipName\":10­75862264,\"jsvMathsOp\":1075868128,\"jsv­MathsOpSkipNames\":1075869824,\"jsvNewFr­omFloat\":1075859684,\"jsvNewFromInteger­\":1075859584,\"jsvNewFromString\":10758­59284,\"jsvNewFromBool\":1075859652,\"js­vGetFloat\":1075865904,\"jsvGetInteger\"­:1075861588,\"jsvGetBool\":1075866264,\"­jspeiFindInScopes\":1075882632,\"jspRepl­aceWith\":1075882332,\"jspeFunctionCall\­":1075893188,\"jspGetNamedVariable\":107­5884476,\"jspGetNamedField\":1075884920,­\"jspGetVarNamedField\":1075885052,\"jsv­NewWithFlags\":1075859016}} >> >\r\n>"
    Loading http://www.espruino.com/json/ESP8266_4MB­.json
    ERROR: Not Found
    Board JSON loaded
    Set Slow Write = true
    Device found (connectionId=1)
    [success] Connected to port /dev/ttyUSB0
    >>> Connected to port /dev/ttyUSB0
    [notify_info] No error. Minifying 23 bytes to 22 bytes.
    Save on send transformed code to: E.setBootCode("console.log(\"hello\");\n­");load(); 
    Found a prompt... great!
    >>> Sending...
    ---> "\u0010reset();\n\u0010E.setBootCode(\"c­onsole.log(\\\"hello\\\");\\n\");load();­\n\n"
    Splitting at "reset();\n", delay 250
    >>> Sent
    Disconnect callback...
    WARNING: [notify_warn] Disconnected
    >>> Disconnected
    Splitting at "\u0003", delay 250
    >>> Connecting...
    Set Slow Write = true
    [object Object]
    Connected [object Object]
    Received a prompt after sending newline... good!
    WARNING: No result found - just got "\bUncaught InternalError: Not connected to the internet\r\n>\bUncaught InternalError: Not connected to the internet\r\n>\bUncaught InternalError: Not connected to the internet\r\n>\bUncaught InternalError: Not connected to the internet\r\n>\bUncaught InternalError: Not connected to the internet\r\n>\bUncaught InternalError: Not connected to the internet\

If this is true though it raises another issue. The IDE will freak out with ANY custom board that you make (I have a couple with different JSVars and stuff). Can I put these in a local directory, and where would be the best place?

Thanks again :)
    =hfc

About