Pico + esp8266 or Espruino wifi ?

Posted on
  • Hello,

I use esp8266 wemos d1 mini style for quite a long time now with micropython but today I want to try your firmware. I'm wondering what is the best choice to start with ? A Pico + esp combo or an all inclusive Espruino wifi ? I want to build "iut" (internet of useful things) with a nice web page.

Wich setup is more stable ? Easier to use ?

Thank you !

• Personally I'd say Espruino WiFi is easier to use, because you don't have to wire up an ESP8266 to it. It's also a little faster with more memory than the Pico, and while it has slightly fewer available pins, they're all available on 0.1 inch headers so are easier to connect to (the Pico has most pins on 0.1", but then a few on the end on 0.05").

However, once you've connected the ESP8266 to the Pico, the code you write to use either one will be virtually identical - and making either one serve up a nice webpage should be pretty easy (just ask here if you have issues).

I should also mention that as you have a Wemos D1 you might be able to just flash the ESP8266 Espruino firmware onto it - however you won't get the best experience as there's quite a lot less memory and there aren't anywhere near as many hardware peripherals available on the ESP8266 .

• Ok I'll give a try to Espruino with my Wemos and if I'm happy with it I'll buy a Espruino wifi to support your work !

I've read that with esp8266 board, PWM doesn't work. Does it work with ws2812 led strip anyway ?

Thank you very much.

• Yes, ESP8266 will work with WS2812 (require('neopixel')). It'll also do Software PWM at lower frequencies.

If you have issues with the ESP8266 port don't let it put you off Espruino though - I spend a lot of time on the 'official' Espruino boards trying to make them work really smoothly, but since the ESP8266 port is basically free, I can't afford to spend that the same amount of time on it.

• No worries mate. I've understand your philosophy and that's why I want to buy an Espruino WiFi :-)

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Pico + esp8266 or Espruino wifi ?

Posted by Avatar for Ioukos @Ioukos

Actions