• i really wasn't a fan of scribbling a pencil over the jumper to switch into bootloader mode and then cleaning it up carefully - it's a way easier to use a second pair of hands and a usb extension cable. so here's how i did it:

1. inserted my pico into an USB extension cable - the other end is not connected to a PC yet
    2. opened nail scissors as much as was needed to short the contacts
    3. at the same time i was pressing the button (on pico)
    4. asked my wife to put the other end of the extension cable into a PC
    5. voila! :-)
      just sayin..
  • Thanks! There's another option too - the BOOT0 contact needs to be pulled to 3.3v, so you can also take a male-female jumper wire, connect it to 3.3v, and then hold it into the pad. It can be a bit easier than shorting, as it means you don't have to press the button as well!

Just out of interest, what was the a reason you needed to enter DFU mode? It's usually pretty rare.

• I also just had to use DFU and opted to go full solder and then clean up afterwards. I just couldn't get the pencil method to work and even when trying to short the pads with wire I struggled to hold the button down as well.

For me I needed DFU mode because the Espruino was just failing to boot at all. The blue light was on faintly but it wasn't showing up in the IDE or anything. It had been fine last night but when I plugged it in this morning, nothing. Everything is fine after the reflash though, so glad that there was a recovery option!

• Just out of interest, what was the a reason you needed to enter DFU mode?

wanted to checkout micropython port

• Ahh, I thought that might have been it :)

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

updating firmware instructions (not using a pencil)

Posted by Avatar for jose1711 @jose1711

Actions