You are reading a single comment by @user75013 and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Hi,

Until now, I was using a PUCKJS device, for which I have added a library for specific hardware support.
    The library is compiled and linked with Espruino.
    I can load the PUCKJS with this new code through Bluetooth with the nRF toolbox and DFU boot loader.
    All work fine, I can invoque functions in the added library.

Now I’m trying to use the nRF52 development kit board, which is closed to our target design, and which shall be more convenient for finalization purpose.
    I get some problems for loading the code into this board.

I have to perform loading in 2 ways:
    1) By directly copying the code into the MBED drive
    2) Through Bluetooth, by using the DFU boot loader as for the PUSKJS

While I was not sure of the correct state of the board after some unsuccessful load attempts, I decided to update the board firmware, as explained on the ARMmbed site (Boards >> Nordic nRF52-DK):

• download the binary from Nordic
    • perform a boot reset => BOOTLOADER drive is enumerated
    • copy the firmware to the BOOTLOADER drive
    • wait then power off / power on the board => MBED drive is enumerated

Next I generated the code for the NRF52832DK board. In a first approach, I removed the specific library I added to the project.

make clean && BOARD=NRF52832DK RELEASE=1 make

This merges the Espruino code with the SoftDevice and generates the espruino_1v91.599_nrf52832.hex file.
    I then copied the .hex file into the MBED drive.
    The drive automatically dismounts and mounts again.
    I then powered off / powered on the board.
    At this stage, I expected to be able to connect the board through the Espruino WEB IDE, but this is not possible : the board is not advertising and not visible as a Bluetooth device.

Can you help me for this problem ?

I also tried to generate a DFU bootloader for the NRF52DK.

make clean && BOOTLOADER=1 BOARD=NRF52832DK RELEASE=1 make

This first generated several errors because some included files were not found.
    I modified the makefile to add the paths to the missing files and retried the make.
    The make failed again but with undefined references :

targets/nrf5x_dfu/main.o: In function ‘main’:
    main.c:(.text.startup.main+0x26): undefined reference to ‘nrf_bootloader_init’
    main.c:(.text.startup.main+0x36): undefined reference to ‘nrf_bootloader_app_start’

Is there something wrong in the generation process ?

So I tried to directly use the DFU boot loader provided in the nRF5 DSK
    I first tried nRF5_SDK_11, which provides 'dfu_dual_bank_ble_s132_pca10040.hex' in examples/dfu/bootloader/hex
    I also tried nRF5_SDK_12, which provides 'secure_dfu_secure_dfu_ble_s132_pca10040­_debug.hex' in examples/dfu/bootloader_secure/pca10040_­debug/hex

Both files, once loaded (copied into the MBED drive, etc.) make the board visible as DfuTarg in the DFU nRF toolbox.

I then generated a .zip package for the NRF52DK. For that I had to modify the NRF52832DK.py file by adding the following lines (copied from PUCKJS.py) in the ‘makefile’ section :

'DFU_PRIVATE_KEY= targets/nrf5x_dfu/dfu_private_key.pem’,
    ‘DFU_SETTINGS=—application-version 0xff —hw-version 52 —sd-req 0x8C’,

and then make again :

make clean && DFU_UPDATE_BUILD=1 USE_BOOTLOADER=1 BOARD=NRF52832DK RELEASE=1 make

This generates the 'espruino_1v91.599_nrf52832.zip' package file.
    When I try to load the generated package with the DFU nRF toolbox, it fails.
    With the bootloader from SDK 11, the error is ‘remote DFU data exceeds limit’. Is it due to the fact that it is a dual bank bootloader ?
    With the bootloader from SDK 12, the error is ‘invalid CRC’.

Thank you for your help for all these problems.

About

Avatar for user75013 @user75013 started