Bluetooth tethering?

Posted on
  • Hi!

Has anyone thought about hooking espruino to the net using bluetooth tethering? Anyone having an idea on what would it take to make this happen?

Best Regards
    Standa

• I'm not sure how it'd work - my understanding is that bluetooth tethering uses modem-like AT commands. If they're similar to the ESP8266's commands then there might be a possibility without doing too much work, but I'm not sure that's actually the case.

Someone would have to do a bit more research - but I'm not sure how useful it is... I imagine bluetooth tethering will die out quite soon.

• I think about Bluetooth PAN as a way to get espruino on the net. Having a server with a bluetooth dongle for supporting PAN would suffice.

I am also not sure how does it actually work under the hood (yet).

• How is it going? Have anybody figured it out yet?

It would be nice to use the puck.js as a mini web server. Is it then possible to make a web crawler out of it?

• I think this question might have been about standard Bluetooth, which is slightly different.

Puck.js is Bluetooth LE, and since Bluetooth LE itself doesn't connect to the internet you need a 'bridge'. Right now you can do that using the Espruino Hub software though: http://www.espruino.com/Puck.js+HTTP+Pro­xy

However it is quite limited at the moment because there are only around 20 bytes available for the URL and the returned data, and you can't make Puck.js a server.

At some point I'll add IPv6 to Puck.js, and then with the correct hub software you'll have full internet access - but Bluetooth LE is not a fast radio standard, so internet access via BLE will always be slow. Something like a Web Crawler should really be done over WiFi - not only would BLE be slow, but you'd run down the battery in no time at all!

• I understand thank you for the answer.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Bluetooth tethering?

Posted by Avatar for opichals @opichals

Actions