• I just ordered Espruino WiFi, and the MPU6050 module. What else might I need to order in order to get it all working and connected? Or is just ordering those two things enough?

• Which MPU6050 did you order? Basically all you need is a way to connect them, so some patch wires and/or breadboard... Or literally just wire and solder if you want to make it permanent!

You shouldn't need any other components at all :)

• Does the espruino come with a bread board? Or is it just the chip? I got this MPU6050: http://www.ebay.com/itm/171036006952

• There's no breadboard included I'm afraid. Probably the easiest way for you to connect the two would be to buy some jumper wires with sockets on. If you search eBay for Dupont FF you should see the right kind of thing (rainbow colored wires with individual sockets on each end - 'M' is for the pinned version)

• Is it the female to female wires, like these ones?

• Yes, those are perfect.

• @Gordon Thanks, I didn't get those exact ones, I got wires like the ones in http://forum.espruino.com/conversations/­305040/

Would those wires work the same?

I put the pins through the holes like in the photo, but the chip is somewhat loose. It doesn't seem like the pins and wires are enough. Maybe I do need a breadboard so the connection is solid?

1 Attachment

• pins.jpg
  • The wires look fine to me - if you have a soldering iron, soldering the pins themselves into the board would probably be best. While it can work just pushing them in, you can get dodgy connections which can make it very unreliable.

• Alright, thanks. Looks like I gotta run to the store and get a breadboard because when I jiggle the chip, it seems to cause the Espruino to power cycle.

• Oh crap, but a breadboard won't enforce the pins being snug inside the holes. The pins are loose.

Are there pins that can tighten to fit snug in the holes?

Maybe I just need to buy a few of these and just solder them to have room for mistakes.

• The fact that it resets the Espruino board makes me think that something might be wrong with the wiring? Bad connections would usually make things like I2C functions fail with an error, but not make the board reboot.

Are there pins that can tighten to fit snug in the holes?

There are, but honestly they're pretty evil. You usually have to clamp them in with a vice, and when I looked at it (I originally wanted to ship Espruino boards like it) I felt it was much more likely folks would damage boards doing that than if they just soldered.

If you're going for it then buy a soldering iron (one with a reasonably thin tip), solder, and then some protoboard and whatever cheap pinned components you can find - you can then do a bit of practice first with stuff you won't care about. After the first few you'll be fine with it :)

Also I'd get a 'solder sucker' - it's dead easy to put too much solder on when you're starting off, and it'll be a pain trying to get it off. For a few dollars a solder sucker will easily take off extra solder if it all blobs together.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Newbie, what do I need besides Espruino WiFi and MPU6050 module?

Posted by Avatar for trusktr @trusktr

Actions