You are reading a single comment by @Robin and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Fri 2017.03.03

While you are patiently waiting for your shipment:

From #1

I don;t have a solder wick or pump at hand.

Another technique you might consider, is this that I use when in a pinch, . . . when a solderpult is not available.

Lay some newspaper out to catch the solder splash. Wear eye protection. Heat your iron while reviewing the following:

It is possible with a little practice, to get rid of the solder blob by holding the board firmly in one hand, such that the solder side is facing downward and at a 45 degree angle to the table top. Raise the arm holding the board around six inches in the air. Heat the bridged pins with the iron and as soon as the solder liquifies, no more than one second after, slam your arm onto the table, keeping your wrist locked such that the board doesn't contact the table. The molten solder will keep moving towards the table as the board stops moving. Your arm is absorbing the shock as it stops the movement. When done correctly, you'll splatter the newsprint covering the table with that blob you were attempting to get rid of.

Practice the movement several times before heating the pins. As a word of caution, too many heat and re-heat attempts may delaminate the pads from the board, or ruin the chips themselves, so only do this as a last resort.

If you have never done this previously, it might make sense to mask off the other pins, so that no solder splash ends up on other pins making matters worse. Also, put down several sheets of newspaper so as not to damage anything else. Remember it takes a few seconds for the solder to cool, so it will attempt to attach to whatever it comes in contact with. Most of the blob will cool on the newsprint making a really cool frozen-in-time splat. Brings back memories of the solder blob wars we used to have, flinging blobs of solder at each other. Loads of fun, but a stupid idea, . . . but I digress. [Do not try this yourself - although I know some readers might]

From #5

Can you give me the link for a good USB-TTL converter

So that those of us, that have access to other resources may provide you with other relevant possibilities, and are close to you for shipping/handling reasons, what country, continent, time zone are you located?

Hope these ideas help . . .

About