You are reading a single comment by @Gordon and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Thanks! I've been thinking about this a lot in the last week - I just gave a talk on something similar at Makercon.de

I think Espruino suffers from this more that others as you say - but I can't help thinking that if there was more of a clear business path there would be a lot more cool software available... I mean, look at how many IoT service companies there are - because there's a very clear path to monetising it (even if it doesn't always work :)

But yeah, as you say it's about the journey. At the end of the day I'm actually managing to pay myself a salary doing my own thing - and something I like - so it can't be all bad.

I think outside of the Silicon Valley VC world where you can just throw money at something and sell the business for millions before it's even making money it's always going to be pretty hard doing stuff yourself.

Thanks for the suggestions - the problem for me with paid support is I don't actually know for sure who is using what board. I guess I could add something so that the Web IDE could 'verify' you as the owner of a proper board, and you could then post on some special part of the forum. Potentially there could be other perks too.

If you didn't have an Espruino board you could get access to that bit of the forum by donating something. Also other board makers could potentially pay to have 'Espruino certified' boards where their users automatically got access to that bit of the forum?

I think that probably hits at the heart of the problem - I think it's awesome to have so many people using Espruino on different boards - that was the intention all along. However, I want to be able to give people who have my boards really good support - but right now it's hard to do that without also spending a lot of time on other people too (which is hard when I have so little time free right now).

About

Avatar for Gordon @Gordon started